ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat Box
Recent Posts
Questioning the electrical norms
by gfretwell - 07/09/20 04:35 PM
Ceiling Fan Capacitor Question
by markmc00 - 07/08/20 01:39 PM
Blo breaker
by Admin - 07/07/20 02:42 PM
"Electric furnaces" and other odd American heaters
by gfretwell - 07/05/20 12:37 PM
PC has killed Experimentation?
by LongRunner - 07/04/20 02:37 PM
New in the Gallery:
Facebook follies, bad wiring
FPE in Germany pt.2
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 19 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
liability insurance requirements #50349 03/31/05 12:29 AM
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 186
mj Offline OP
Does the AHJ require proof of liability insurance for licensed electrical contractors in your area ? if so ,want is the minimum amount of coverage required ? Presently,liability insurance is not required in my area, the board is considering a $500,000 minimum proof of insurance before any permits are issuesd. The only type insurance required now is a $5,000 preformance bond for to correct code violations .

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
Re: liability insurance requirements #50350 03/31/05 07:24 AM
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 329
Steve Miller Offline
In my home state (MD) we are not required to carry any insurance if you operate on a journeyman license. As soon as you pass the masters test and apply for the masters license you need to carry (I think) $500k liability. I say "I think" because it only cost me $350 yr for $1M and I carry that ($500k would cost me $300). The counties won't even issue the masters without proof of insurance and the state won't issue a statewide license until you have (at least) one county license (your base/home county).
FYI: even if I do no contracting and only have the masters to work for someone else I still need the insurance to get the masters.

Re: liability insurance requirements #50351 03/31/05 09:12 AM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 133
Electric Ian Offline
MA - proof of liability insurance required (1M, I believe) before an electrical permit will be issued.
Exceptions are:
1. Permit issued to home owner for work on his/her own house (single family)
2. If home owner signs waiver

Re: liability insurance requirements #50352 03/31/05 01:28 PM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,143
DougW Offline
North Chicago only requires $100k - $300k each for property damage and liability to get your license, but since many communities to the south (over the "green ($$$) line" ) require $500k- $1M, I got $1M/$2M for about $150 more/year.

Some communities require copies of insurance covereage from your agent, some just make a xerox of your license.

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 03-31-2005).]

Re: liability insurance requirements #50353 03/31/05 10:29 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 315
luckyshadow Offline
Here in Maryland we are required to have 100K / 300K this is for property then liability. You only need this if your master's license is active. You can hold a Master's with no coverage as long as it is inactive. (No sense paying for insurance if the license is inactive)

Re: liability insurance requirements #50354 03/31/05 10:34 PM
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 135
BobH Offline
Most all the towns and cities around here require 300,000 minimum to get licensed and require insurance co. to list their name on the form. I wouldn't think about doing electrical or any type of contracting without insurance in todays sue-happy society, especially as a dba, in any town.

Re: liability insurance requirements #50355 03/31/05 10:35 PM
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 135
BobH Offline
Oh sorry. Upsate N.Y here.

Re: liability insurance requirements #50356 03/31/05 11:11 PM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 914
Electric Eagle Offline
I don't know of any areas requiring insurance other than one jurisdiction requiring a code compliance bond. However I couldn't imagine doing this tye of work without at least a $1,000,000 liability policy. Most GC's won't hire you without liability and workmans comp also.

Re: liability insurance requirements #50357 04/01/05 07:42 PM
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 135
BobH Offline
Could someone explain exactly what a code compliance bond is? Not many areas around here require bonding so I'm not really familar. Thanks.

Re: liability insurance requirements #50358 04/01/05 11:01 PM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 914
Electric Eagle Offline
Bob H, in our area a code compliance bond is something they make you buy for $100 a year to cover the a$$ of the AHJ. I've never heard of one being claimed on, but it is suposed to pay to correct code violations found years later. It's really a joke.

Page 1 of 2 1 2


2020 National Electrical Code
2020 National Electrical
Code (NEC)

* * * * * * *

2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman


Member Spotlight
L.I. New York
Posts: 99
Joined: August 2003
Show All Member Profiles 
Top Posters(30 Days)
Admin 8
Popular Topics(Views)
267,264 Are you busy
201,958 Re: Forum
190,568 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3