ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mj Offline OP
Does the AHJ require proof of liability insurance for licensed electrical contractors in your area ? if so ,want is the minimum amount of coverage required ? Presently,liability insurance is not required in my area, the board is considering a $500,000 minimum proof of insurance before any permits are issuesd. The only type insurance required now is a $5,000 preformance bond for to correct code violations .

S
In my home state (MD) we are not required to carry any insurance if you operate on a journeyman license. As soon as you pass the masters test and apply for the masters license you need to carry (I think) $500k liability. I say "I think" because it only cost me $350 yr for $1M and I carry that ($500k would cost me $300). The counties won't even issue the masters without proof of insurance and the state won't issue a statewide license until you have (at least) one county license (your base/home county).
FYI: even if I do no contracting and only have the masters to work for someone else I still need the insurance to get the masters.

E
MA - proof of liability insurance required (1M, I believe) before an electrical permit will be issued.
Exceptions are:
1. Permit issued to home owner for work on his/her own house (single family)
2. If home owner signs waiver

D
North Chicago only requires $100k - $300k each for property damage and liability to get your license, but since many communities to the south (over the "green ($$$) line" ) require $500k- $1M, I got $1M/$2M for about $150 more/year.

Some communities require copies of insurance covereage from your agent, some just make a xerox of your license.

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 03-31-2005).]

L
Here in Maryland we are required to have 100K / 300K this is for property then liability. You only need this if your master's license is active. You can hold a Master's with no coverage as long as it is inactive. (No sense paying for insurance if the license is inactive)

B
Most all the towns and cities around here require 300,000 minimum to get licensed and require insurance co. to list their name on the form. I wouldn't think about doing electrical or any type of contracting without insurance in todays sue-happy society, especially as a dba, in any town.

B
Oh sorry. Upsate N.Y here.

E
I don't know of any areas requiring insurance other than one jurisdiction requiring a code compliance bond. However I couldn't imagine doing this tye of work without at least a $1,000,000 liability policy. Most GC's won't hire you without liability and workmans comp also.

B
Could someone explain exactly what a code compliance bond is? Not many areas around here require bonding so I'm not really familar. Thanks.

E
Bob H, in our area a code compliance bond is something they make you buy for $100 a year to cover the a$$ of the AHJ. I've never heard of one being claimed on, but it is suposed to pay to correct code violations found years later. It's really a joke.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard