ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#48424 02/12/05 10:38 PM
E
e57 Offline
Future proof installation means an empty 1 1/2 EMT to all locations. Dont forget only 2 90's and 2' sweep radius.....

I think of the "whole lotta wire" sale on most jobs. It consists of (3)cat 5e, and 1 RG-6Q at all loc's, one each room. This Phone, Network, Spare and TV. I used to think it was total over-kill. But soon realized that if it's there, they look for reasons to use it. I have been thinking of adding another RG-6Q.

AV wiring is seperate.... Design as a system, when the owner sells, maybe they should be nice enough to sell the equipment with the house, as the wiring is specialized to the equipment other than general "Whole house audio", which should also be left behind in the same way you don't take your water heater....

Automation might as well be left behind too....

rowdyrudy, your system of wiring is more than most people would even think of, or use. But I wouldn't try to make it a standard... It might just be barely adequate for your ever- expanding needs. Most poeple are happy with one TV, and a handfull of phones, and point-to-point networking. A moderate amount of wire allows them to move them around a bit. Its a delicate balance.

Many people dont even own a computer, never-mind would they access one to start the coffee maker.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#48425 02/13/05 12:25 PM
R
Basic RG-6 system for TV. All terminate at basement board.
1. 4 from DirecTV dish. (1-1/4 PVC UG).
2. 2 each routed to MBR, BR2, BR3, BR4, BR5, Library. (Required for HDTV).
3. 4 to Family Room. (Required for HDTV/TIVO and second TIVO).
4. 1 to Kitchen. (Not HDTV).
5. 1 to Garage. (Not HDTV).
6. 1 to Exercise Room. (Not HDTV).
7. 1 from OTA antenna in west attic. (Required for OTA HDTV).
Incoming to 4x8 powered multi-switch.
Load side feeds 2 4x8 powered multi’s and cascades to 1 more 4x8 multi.
Diplexers not used as unsuitable for optimum signal.
Splitters not used for same reason.
I think that my mixing the systems in my post possibly indicated a system that is complicated and expensive. It’s not difficult or cost prohibitive. I’ll try to fill in the other systems one by one .
Rowdy

#48426 02/13/05 02:19 PM
E
e57 Offline
Yeah, Rowdy

All that HDTV and TiVo is what I would call AV, and is far beyond standard. Specialized.

I have done some jobs where AV designers have called for Composite Video transfer to most rooms, beyond what you have, and likewise is far above what the "average homeowner" would want or use.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#48427 02/15/05 02:55 PM
Q
New Member here...In the Custom A/V world but starting an electrical division soon.

My take is that the more wire for the future the better. We use mulitple banana peels or 4 ports as well call them to many rooms, 2 RG6 Quad and 2 Cat5e.

For Crestron Automation Cat5e or Crestron cable works wonders and give so much flexibility.

Wireless isn't quite there yet to do all that is need. Also basing your home off of a computer based system is risky because PC's crash.

I am curious to know how much you guys charge per drop of Cat5e and RG6 Quad?

#48428 02/15/05 07:44 PM
L
LK Offline
Technologies,

We have a plan for each job, and we work from a To from List, for pricing cable jobs, this allows us to max profits on every job, one rhing we have learned, from this type of work, is price is usually not the top item on a customers list, on time and neat installations are the top requirements.

Usually per drop pricing, is used in production wiring, not found too much in custom jobs.

#48429 02/21/05 04:19 PM
Q
When we price out a system I agree that the job costs a certain amount listed by line item. At least that is the way we do it. I was just curious from being an electrical contractor as oppossed to an A/V contractor if our pricing was similar. I do know that as an electrical contractor you all get much better pricing on Cat5e and RG6 Quad because you all do that in most homes instead of having a dedicated low voltage contractor. At least that is what I have run into. Don't know if that helps clarify my question.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard