ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 406 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#47305 01/17/05 11:30 PM
D
LOL, better yet, a picture of his boss and the inspector shaking hands in front of it.

Dave

#47306 01/18/05 12:16 AM
E
e57 Offline
Don't you mean with a wad of $ in hand. [Linked Image]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#47307 01/18/05 12:37 AM
No, it's the unsuspecting, yes maybe dumb customer that gets hurt or killed....It's their butt.

There have been quite a few alternatives suggested here.

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 01-17-2005).]

#47308 01/18/05 06:12 AM
I'd get rid of that circuit quicker than you could say, "personal liability".
If it comes down to it 208, it will be you that wears the can for this one.
"My boss made me do it" is not a statement that would stand up in any court of law.

#47309 01/18/05 06:56 AM
Z
O.K. Everyone, I personally did not install the box, helper did cause he was running the job, I was there just to help out cause they wanted to insulate sooner.
This was installed after the rough inspection, since HO was making all kinds of changes while insulaters had most of the floor finnished. I talked to boss about the problem, and he said he will talk it over with the inspector, but meanwhile install the box and wiring. He never called the inspector.
We where roughing the basement while this was all going on.
e57 thank you for your last post, only you seem to understand what I am up against.

Shoot first, apologize later.....maybe
#47310 01/18/05 07:10 AM
I
Zapped I am curious why you bothered to ask the question in the first place.

It is a violation plain and simple.

If you want to ignore the code that is your choice, a bad one but yours to make.

Technically, It's the INSPECTORS BUTT! IMO

That is far from the truth, unless the inspector accepts a bribe to overlook it.

When we get our license it is an agreement that we will follow the code, you can not expect an inspector to catch everything.

Although this should be an obvious one to see. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#47311 01/18/05 07:30 AM
Hear hear Bob!(Iwire), [Linked Image]
When we get our license it is an agreement that we will follow the code
And that is the pinnacle of the licenced Electrician, no matter what area or country they come from.
We all have personal standards and a conscience to live with.
Anyone that can sleep at at night after doing a job like that, IMO, needs to find another line of work.
Just my $0.02 worth.

#47312 01/18/05 08:36 AM
D
You can't put this on the inspector when it was installed after the inspection.

Dave

#47313 01/18/05 09:31 AM
E
e57 Offline
Gent's, a man comes to us with a problem, so we tell him to quit his job, (affecting his personal livelyhood) and go on to insult his personal conscience and values. That is NOT right! Neither one is a realistic solution to the problem.

As for Licensing in all states, I don't know...

I have my own license.... Any work I do under that license, I am responsable for. Like-wise any work do by an an employee, I am responsable for.

I closed shop, and went back to work for someone else. I still have my license, but any work I do as an employee under the companies license, they are responsable for.

------------------------------

In a simular situation years ago, I had a boss that wanted me to do some custom control work for a tricked out table. It was sunken into the floor, and raised up and down using hydraulics. The guy doing the hydraulics was using dual acting cylinders, with pumps and cylindrs rated at 20,000lbs, with no blow outs, or limiters. The control diagram had no safety devices. I refused to hook it up and the BOSS had a fit. Said, "Do you want me to get someone else to do it?!"

I told him, "Look these people have small kids in the house, if they chop off their legs in this thing it's all YOU! The only way I'll do it is if it's safe!" After some more arguement he agreed. We made the hydro guy put limiters and blow-outs in, and we put in auto-reverse and stop devices in the controls via touch tape contacts and eyes, and a release under the table, and restricted access via keypad.

Cost the customer a fortune.... But it was as safe as we could possibley get it.

Anyway, it was learning experiance, I thought I'd share.
---------------------------------------

Some solutions:

If the Inspector doesn't know, tell him!
If the Owner doesn't know, tell him.
If the Boss doesn't care tell him...

And if you can't take the TV out of the tub space. Take the tub space away from the TV. (Like I suggested earlier)

Or let this guy watch TV via mirrors, from a safe distance. Get creative with it.... [Linked Image]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#47314 01/18/05 02:59 PM
E
"The helper was running the job". This gets better by the minute. [Linked Image]

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard