ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 376 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
rknikko Offline OP
Do anyone know how to calculate the horsepower for a gas boiler (water)? What is the average HP run in a 2-family residential boiler?

C
Boilers are commonly rated in BTU's, not horsepower.

You are kind of scaring me with that question.

[This message has been edited by CTwireman (edited 01-06-2005).]

Peter
C
This site http://www.onlineconversion.com
offers all manner of conversions. A boiler BTU rating is actually BTU/Hr. So, 1 Btu/hour [I.T.] = 0.0003929 horsepower [electric]. Or, 1 Btu/hour [I.T.] = 0.0003985 cheval vapeur for the rest of us. [Linked Image]

C
Large Steam boilers are generally rated in horsepower. Water boilers have several different btuh ratings, the input, the output, and the most important, "I=B=R" rating (Or "DOE" rating).

The only way to properly size the (Hot water) boiler is to perform a heat loss calc on the house, which takes into account the windows, doors, insulation, etc. and size the radiation to this, then size the boiler to the connected radiation.

The only way to properly size a replacement steam boiler is to size the boiler to the connected radiation, plus a suitable "pickup factor". (Usually about 30%)

To actually answer the original question, ( [Linked Image] ) one boiler horsepower=33,479 btuh.So a 100,000 btuh steam boier could be called a "3 HP boiler". Mostly, though, boilers of this size aren't referred to in "HP", but btuh. You start seeing horsepower used as a descriptive term for boilers when they hit the million btu mark. (A one million btuh boier, would, of course, be a "30 HP" boiler.
www.heatinghelp.com (The "Wall" forum) is the premier place to learn about boilers and heating with water and steam, in general.

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by condenseddave (edited 01-09-2005).]

It's all about integrity.

Link Copied to Clipboard