ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 550 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
OJT, I started out as a burgler alarm installer. Way back in '75. Had a fight with a boss and went to work for an electrical contractor. (EC). Worked for him for 8 years took the test and got my own EC's lic. satyed with the boss for at least a year. Worked on the side ( 7 days a week) then finally parted company with the old boss. ( still friends) Went into my own business for 15 years then became an AHJ. I believe that the better AHJ's have had field experience and not just book smarts.

N
5 year IBEW Apprenticeship local 441 Orange County, CA. After that various JW classes and lots of self study. The company I work for is real big on safety and I have had extensive training in that from them. Also plenty of OTJT!

10,000 Hr Apprenticeship, endless Night Classes and very little pay later, you get to be called an Electrician here, instead of the usual "Boy!".
Won't be doing another one of them though. [Linked Image]

J
Started out as a summer job while in college. Worked three summers then went full time after graduation. I was going to take a year off before finding my true calling. Still at it way many years later!

D
College algebra classes in high school, electronics classes in college, machine electrician for a few years, 200 hours of self-study on the NEC, passed the test to become a registered electrician and changed my repair/remodeling business into an electrical contracting business (ten years ago).

I'm still learning.

Dave

L
Lee Offline
I'm 19 and i just started attending a trade school in Pennsylvania(No prior experience). I was hoping i would land a job after the course but it seems the next likely step would be an apprenticeship program, because the school is mostly in-the-book rather than hands on.

G
I started at the age of 7 putting switches and outlets in new resi work that my grandfather's contracting company (union electrical) would do on saturdays. At 16 I became a summer helper and at 19 I became an apprentice thru the local working for my grandfathers company. 43 years later with a city masters license, a state security and fire alarm license and a journrymans card I'm still at it.

M
Two year AVTI construction electrician program, 4 year IBEW apprenticeship, ongoing OTJT, and biennial continuing education courses.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard