ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 335 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#42365 09/19/04 08:18 PM
A
On new construction, $800 per hundred amps underground (drop pipe only) up to 400A. $1100 per 100 overhead. Change out runs higher depending on the degree of difficulty.

#42366 09/19/04 08:21 PM
D
My prices vary greatly, I consider the job individually, and use all copper with IMC on the exterior to the panel inside. I just wanted to mention that I also include two ground rods. I always update the grounding with a new service, and install a light above the panel if there isn't one. Sometimes I also include a GFCI outlet on it's own circuit by the panel.

Dave

#42367 09/19/04 08:23 PM
M
jayson,
first you get the job then you get a permit.

get a bigger panel and a new meterbase..you will need to check with the local power co for details especially if you are not familiar with the techniques and practices indicative of your area...

plastic is the cheapest way to go cost wise..well except for those few places that allow a SEC up the side of the building.

-regards

mustang

[This message has been edited by mustangelectric (edited 09-19-2004).]

#42368 09/19/04 09:16 PM
L
LK Offline
Prices for service upgrades vary around the country, depending on the economic conditions of the area.
What does not change is, the operating expenses, and overhead of an EC that is in a full time business.
There are however, many part timers, and trunk slammers with no overhead, or operating expenses, you can't try to compete at their level, and survive in a legitimate business.

#42369 09/19/04 09:40 PM
M
Hi,
So far some interesting replies. I think in todays world you have to remeber to "LIVE AND LET LIVE". We are all Americans. There has always been and always will be the LITTLE guy. That is called COMPETITION. Some little guys do not keep a place to meet and greet the public. Most small guys will start out of their garage or a storage shed. I am a LITTLE guy. LITTLE guys get to be BIGGER guys. The age of the average electrical contractor is between 40 and 50. That means a lot of you older hands are slowing down or getting ready to sail off into the sunset.

The little guys need to be able to survive in todays economy as well as you big outfits running 5 service trucks and 10-20 hands.

The guy who has a license and is doing honest work and following the laws is not doing anything illegal. Their is a big diff in the a guy sitting downtown with a $800 dollar a month office, a $50 dollar a month phone bill, a truck payment, liability, workmans comp, advertising, insurance, electricity, gas, water, internet, web site, business machines, office expenses, trying to keep customers happy, making appointments, returning phone calls, bidding jobs, running parts, getting permits, listing to clients, that is a just few things different...

this is the reason for the differences in the cost of 200A service installed in White Hall, Ar VS New York City or San Franscisco.

A person who can get out there and drum up his own lively hood sleep at night and stay out of jail doing is OK in my book!

-mustang

#42370 09/20/04 12:50 AM
C
CJS Offline
Yeah man...
If I get a call and they need a service change, I give them my price. They don't have to take it. They can shop it around.
It isin't worth it to me to do it for any less. I'd be losing money. If I'm not making it there I'm making it elsewhere.

Most people that I deal with understand that I have overhead. I show up in a nice, shinny GMC 2500 Van fully outfitted, assure them that they will be satisfied with my work, and inform them that I am fully licensed AND INSURED and provide them with a ready made list of references. They inform me that I am one of the few who advertises "Licensed & Insured" and that's why they called. And really once I'm there it is an easy sale most of the time. They're paying for my 20+ years of experience, my insurance, my truck, ALL of the insurances actually, the advertising, the taxes, and then whatever is left over is mine. To do a 200A service change for less than $2600.00 would be a waste of time for me (and a waste of money). If they don't want to pay it they can get some guy out of the paper or something who usually doesn't carry any insurances, really will not do as good of a job, but will charge less. And I really don't care; that guy has to eat too.

You know what I mean?

Yep, I'm 43 and I ain't gonna whore myself out like I use to do. I'd rather sit at home and play internet games or watch movies than do work for less than I'm accustomed to. There are exceptions to all rules though: If I perceive that somebody really cannot pay and they have a dangerous situation, I will do whatever I can to help. But, although that does at times happen, it is the exception and not the rule.

#42371 09/20/04 03:49 PM
L
LK Offline

Then he should being something else, other then electrical work, If he is not Lic. and insured, In the states where it is required.

#42372 09/20/04 04:29 PM
M
LK,
Right. THAT GUY needs to be working legally like the rest of us. I know a lot of guys "like myself" who have been down many electrical roads. Some fast paced some maintenance a lot of construction and I would not say I have seen it all but you would not beleive what I have seen.

I respect the big gun, but I respect the little gun too. Wal-Mart started as a 5 and dime...now it is the worlds largest company. they will chew up and spit out any competitor or supplier who doesnt go along with them.

GE is the same way. I have seen them crush electrical contractors.

BUT, the small guy is 0ver 75% of all contractors. Only about 10% is the really big outfits. The ones listed in ENR.

The majority of us do not want to get that big. All I want to do is make a Hundred Grand and go hunting and fishing when I can.

I drive a new truck and I live in a nice house. It is hard to scratch out a living in todays world.

I have had the shop and all the goodies that goes with it. I like being small.

So it takes a mix of folks to get it done.

I heard a big shot contractor say once.."there is a lot of private parties out working for themselves these days, and they are cutting into my business, therefore I can't pay a decent wage"...i do not beleive that for a minute.

The problem is that if he paid a decent wage he could recruit and retain good help. Licensed guys deserve to be paid prevailing wage.

The contractors that pay a guy $15-$20 are making plenty of money as long as they can keep the work.

A guy making $20 bucks is making $45 for his employer.

A guy working on his own is making just a few bucks.

I can not go out and get the big contracts, it takes PEOPLE and EQUIPMENT and STUFF.

I usually get the stuff the big guns cull. I also get a lot of word of mouth business.

Most folks like the fact that a Master will be doing the work instead of an apprentice.

The bottom line is we are all important items on the food chain...you win some you lose some..some days you work some days you fish..i'd rather be fishing..it just doesnt pay too good!

-regards

Mustang

[This message has been edited by mustangelectric (edited 09-20-2004).]

#42373 09/20/04 06:47 PM
P
Way too much to comment on here, but I can guarantee you that the employee making $20 per hour IS NOT making $45 for his employer.

I couldn't rent the basement of a burned out crack house for $800 a month here in DC, and my cell phone bill is WAY higher than $50.

Power to the people
#42374 09/20/04 06:54 PM
M
hi,
thanks for the reply. any contractor who does not charge at least $65 per man (Licensed Journeyman) is the exception not the rule.. I have seen $135 and the worker get $35 plus some per diem.

as far as rent, I had a 1750 sqaure foot shop that was only $575 my BASIC BUSINESS line ran about $50. that is if you do not try and use it.

anotherthing, i did not say what the employer was spending it on..billable hours is how you get paid isnt it?

good luck anyway

mustang

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard