ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 184 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#42321 09/19/04 02:22 PM
D
Since I like to play with metal I decided to buy a new chop saw. I have always stuck with DeWalt and Milwaukee. Ater looking and comparing the two I found both were made in China or Taiwan. I decided to buy a Hitachi because it was made in Japan. I also recently bought a nice router but had to search to find one made in the U.S.(Bosch). I own 3 pairs of Double H boots, all made here in America, I just received a 4th pair in the mail that I decided to buy online, guess what? Made in China. Last year we purchased two new 2003 Dodge 3500's, 4x4, quad cab, Cummins turbo diesel etc.etc.etc.They both were made in Mexico. Even Carhartt is going across the border. For fathers day my wife purchased a new $300.00 Seiko dive watch, all previuos Seikos (3) I've had were made in Japan. This one though says "made in Singapore". Even the Japanese products are being made in China. Next time someone mentions "buy American", I'm going to reply "show me something". I just needed to vent.

[This message has been edited by Delectric (edited 09-19-2004).]

One of the better ones-
Electricians do it without shorts.
#42322 09/19/04 04:13 PM
S
I have been saying this for a long time. The hardcore "buy American" people are hard to convince though. I agree that something made in Japan is much better quality as compared to Taiwan or China. Like you said though, even Japan made stuff is getting hard to find.
I will buy American (or Europen) whenever possible, even at a higher cost. You do get what you pay for.
The world is becoming a global market. Look at the sticker on you Dodge. It will tell you where it was made and the origin of the parts. See what percent is actually made in America.
My wife's new Nissan was made here with a certain amount of parts made here. It's more of an American car than some from the big three. What about joint ventures between Chrysler and Mitsubishi. Ford and Mazda. Chevy and Toyota. How many "American" cars are re-badged imports. That's OK I guess. As long as the name is American.
OK, I hear folks now. "All the profits go over to *%#@& Japan." So what? How many UAW workers are kept alive from Nissan, Honda, Toyota, BMW, Mercedes? The same workers who's jobs were lost in the 70's & 80's by GM, etc. .

The tool market is one that personally bothers me though. I hate the fact that the Milwaukee chop saw is made in China. I won't but it. I don't care if it's $179. I'll pay $300 for a quality one.
I don't buy Milwaukee, Bosch, Makita, Metabo, for the price. Porter Cable is one that is still mostly made in the USA. I have about 12 PC power tools, from a circular saw to belt sander, nail guns and a biscuit joiner. All made in the USA. Let Harry Homeowner buy a B&D Firestorm battery drill made in China, I don't want one.

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
#42323 09/19/04 04:49 PM
J
Buy American but buy a Dodge? Who owns Dodge? Dailmer/Chrysler is a German company.
I like to support our country as well but it's very hard to find stuff that is made in the USA and from parts in the USA.

#42324 09/19/04 07:23 PM
M
I have a different viewpoint:

American workers make more than foreign workers. If we all insist on American made goods, then we'll employ more americans but stuff will cost more...lots more.

With more demand for Americal workers, american wages will go up. With higher wages and higher cost of production, cost of goods goes up. So now I have more money in my pocket but no more stuff because everything costs more.

And because only 5% of americans are out of work, there can't be much change in employment (5% at the most) but the cost of goods can go up much faster because more than 5% of goods come from oversees.

So if we all buy American, we all get to buy less stuff.

By letting some guy in China make my computer for $ per day, I can afford to own one. If I had to pay an American to build my computer, I probably would have to go without.

#42325 09/19/04 07:24 PM
S
Joey D, You're right. I thought about that but forgot to mention it. In this case though the profits go overseas and alot of the work is done outside the country.
I still consider Mopar an American company. With buyouts and mergers who knows who owns whom. Ford owns Jaguar and GM owns Saab. Who'd a thunk it?

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein

Link Copied to Clipboard