ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4173 09/12/01 11:40 PM
D
Dan-aw Offline OP
Today, I woke and I was missing over $1500.00 worth of tools. This may not seem like a lot to some, but it is to me. The following tools were stolen from the back of my truck in Florence Twp., NJ (yes it was locked, they broke in):
Amprobe industrial circuit tracing kit, Firestorm 18v drill set, Craftsman circular saw, Craftsman saber saw, rotary trimmer, 2’ level, caulk gun and 6 tubes of GE silicone 2, 2-200’ fish tapes, Stanley hammer, and a Coleman wide beam work light.
They were all in a blue Sterlite container. If anyone has any information, please contact me via E-mail: dan-aw@msn.com
Thank you, Dan

#4174 09/14/01 08:21 PM
B
Originally posted by Dan-aw:
Today, I woke and I was missing over $1500.00 worth of tools. This may not seem like a lot to some, but it is to me. The following tools were stolen from the back of my truck in Florence Twp., NJ (yes it was locked, they broke in):
Amprobe industrial circuit tracing kit, Firestorm 18v drill set, Craftsman circular saw, Craftsman saber saw, rotary trimmer, 2’ level, caulk gun and 6 tubes of GE silicone 2, 2-200’ fish tapes, Stanley hammer, and a Coleman wide beam work light.
They were all in a blue Sterlite container. If anyone has any information, please contact me via E-mail: dan-aw@msn.com
Thank you, Dan

Dan-aw;
I can certainly relate to this, I got ripped off twice, once in Home-depot parking lot and once in the Lowes parking lot. The last time was 6 months ago.
The first time was really unique, When I came out of the HD, another contractor was following me and said, hey is that your truck and I said, it was, he said two guys were just in it, So I checked and it seemed to be ok, my boom-box was still there on top of a pile of stuff I had put in the day before after finsihing a job, anyway the contractor gave a desccription of the car the liccense plate etc, so I left and got to the job site and discovered they got every cordless, right-angle, Bosch, and Dewalt spline hammer drill, at whicch point I lost it, I went to the Police Station and filed a complaint that took two hours, I finally got the report, with the locense plate I found out who the guy was where he lived and that he had a rap-sheet as long as my arm, they told to go to Rogers Ohio, and I said whats there they said a Flie-Market, you'd have a better chance to get your stuff back there as we can.
Needless to say by the time I replaced everything I was out 3000. this of course is after the second loss where I only lost two tools my new cordless and another right-angle, this time I had tool insurance and of course there was a 250.00 dollar deductible. All I can tell you is to lock the truck, and hope it doesnt happen again. For me the cops did nothing. As far as I can tell we are on our own.

#4175 09/15/01 12:15 AM
Dan,

Sorry to hear about your experience. It's only a real low-life that would take someone's tools that are needed to earn a living. It's a lot worse than taking their Jewelery or Big Screen TV. It hasn't happened to me, but I do think about it often. I wish I didn't have to.

Bill

Bill
#4176 09/15/01 12:48 AM
Different world here, I guess it could still happen...

Once owned an old country store that had drainage problems (only when it rained, of course...). I left a shovel and mattock out in front for more than two years with no problems. Folks around here won't steal something you gotta work with!

We leave our keys in vehicles "in case someone has to move it".. to do otherwise is considered inconsiderate.

My house doesn't lock, never has...

Ironically, the demise of the store was the result of an armed robbery... the only one in my little town's history! Talk about bad luck, I can relate...

I do lock my truck at Wal-Mart though...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#4177 09/15/01 10:48 AM
Day after Thanksgiving, '99, I was hooking up a Christmas tree sales lot for a youth group. (for free)
I looked over to see my Van on fire.
It burnt to nothing in about 5 min. I lost everything in it.(about $3K in tools)

The things you can't replace are the little "gizmo" tools that you collect through the years.
I feel for you.

#4178 09/15/01 11:39 AM
P
It's generally O.K. to leave things unlocked where I live. Only about 300 homes here and we're very much off the beaten track. I lock up when venturing into the larger towns 15 to 20 miles away though.

I guess I'm pretty lucky, as I've never had any trouble. Thefts of items from vehicles (& the vehicles themselves) has reached epidemic proportions in our big cities. Apparently England has the highest rate of such thefts in the Western World. My brother still lives in London, and down there now if it isn't locked or nailed down, it will disappear in two minutes flat.

#4179 09/15/01 11:35 PM
D
Dan-aw Offline OP
I've since realized, among the preceding, were also my Wavetek digital multimeter, Amprobe AC/DC clamp-on, and a Bernzomatic torch kit. Yes, that's over $2,200.00 total. Not a happy camper. The amprobe clamp-on has my initials on it. If anyone comes across one with a "DW" engraved in it, let me know at "dan-aw@msn.com". I had to replace the essentials. I bought a "knack box" and rigged it so it locks from the inside to my truck. Ran a chain threw ladders and odd toolboxes. Makes working a bit tough but I refuse to allow this to happen again. Thank you all for your comments. I just want to add that it not only sickens me to see this type of behavior, but imagine the audacity to perform such an act the same day we were being attacked. Check out Mike Holt's tribute.
God Bless and Thanks again, Dan

#4180 11/28/01 11:05 AM
M
Today I too found all my tools missing from the garage, which is attached to the house.
This is the third time I have been ripped off, this total was 1800 dollars, and the kicker is they even took my Tool-pouch.
I got insurance but they told me taht since the tools were in the garage my tool insurance wont cover it. try your homeowner policy.
There was an old saying, "do a good job and you will be rewarded", guess I got my reward.
At this point I dont know what to do, have never felt so lost before and discouraged.
thanks for listening.

#4181 11/28/01 05:00 PM
W
In Oct. 2000, my service truck was stolen from my driveway. $25,000 in tools and $8000 damage to the truck. A service bed and job box in the bed, ladders chained on. Tore up every locker and the job-box. Five months later someone tried to steal it again, out of my driveway. A month later someone broke into the garage and got a hydraulic knockout set and some other tools, total about $3000.
Now insurance won't renew because of the claims.

Dan-aw and Motor-T... I feal your pain.

#4182 11/28/01 07:44 PM
M
Wolf-dog
Thats now my delemma, my truck was ripped-off 6 months ago in the Orange parking lot, and I filed a claim after they paid the deductable they sent me a small check.
I called my agent and he is advising me NOT to file a claim because they probably would not renew my commercial business policy. Why did I buy the tool insurance in the first place, so if I file the claim I lose, if I dont file the cclaim I lose double, I get my tools stolen and I am the bad guy, they even took my tool pouch, I had that for twenty years, it was due to be retired, I just dont get it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard