ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#40924 08/12/04 10:53 PM
Bob:

The switch, outlet, and tap devices of insulating material that are permitted to be used without boxes in exposed cable wiring and for rewiring in existing buildings where the cable is concealed, etc., it not referring to the product that is used in the 545, etc., areas.

I searched my image library, and could not find the tap devices mentioned, but I am positive that they are the type that we can still purchase that are usually made of brown plastic with the receptacles and or switch all in one enclosure sort of like an in line switch used in the cord on a table lamp.

I can see where the words can be misinterpreted.

Besides that rule was in the code long before the 545 stuff came about.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#40925 08/13/04 04:39 AM
I
The 2003 UL white book section for these interconnects (QAAV) directly references 99 NEC 336.21 [now 334.40(B)]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#40926 08/13/04 04:49 AM
I
2003 UL White Book Page 79 (QAAV)
This category covers self-contained interconnectors employing pressure cable connectors, insulation displacement or insulation piercing connectors for splicing or tapping nonmetallic (NM) sheathed cable.

These interconnectors are intended for installation in accordance with Section 336.21 and Articles 545, 550 and 551 of NFPA 70, ‘‘National Electrical Code.’’

These devices have been evaluated for equivalency to Type NM cable in insulation and temperature rise, and for capability to withstand fault currents, vibration and mechanical shock that may occur during transport of the units in which they are used.

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#40927 08/13/04 06:42 AM
Bob:

I found the image that describes the devices mentioned in Article 336.

334.40(B)Devices of Insulating Material.

Switch, outlet, and tap devices of insulating material shall be permitted to be used without boxes in exposed cable wiring and for rewiring in existing buildings where the cable is concealed and fished.

Openings in such devices shall form a close fit around the outer covering of the cable, and the device shall fully enclose the part of the cable from which any part of the covering has been removed.

Where connections to conductors are by binding-screw terminals, there shall be available as many terminals as conductors.

[Linked Image from joetedesco.com]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#40928 08/15/04 07:46 AM
I
Joe you seem to be ignoring the fact that the UL book section for the tapping connector I posted references 334.40(B) that makes them one and the same.

Different looking devices but covered by the same requirement, no?

Maybe UL is recognizing more products under that section then they used to.

Looking at it from another direction.

If these are suitable NM taps in a manufactured home how can it be said they are unsafe or unsuitable for stick built homes?

This is all academic as I will probably never use these connectors. [Linked Image]

I do use Re-Locs on MC cable and it seems to me that these are nothing different then re-locs for NM cable.

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#40929 08/15/04 11:42 AM
C
The surface devices pictured have been recognized in the NEC since at least 1940, Sec. 3369. In 1951 the new phrase " - - in existing buildings where the cable is concealed and fished- - " was added, with no record of the proposer or the reason. My opinion is that this splicing device may be OK for manufactured homes and mobile homes, but there is no place for it in normal wiring. How UL listed this is a mystery to me. Creighton

#40930 08/15/04 11:57 AM
I
Creighton thanks for jumping in on this and please anyone else please jump in too.

I do want to ask about this.

this splicing device may be OK for manufactured homes and mobile homes, but there is no place for it in normal wiring.

What is the difference, do manufactured homes deserve a lower level of safety?

NM is NM no matter how or where the dwelling is built.

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#40931 08/15/04 02:23 PM
C
I have been following this post on the side but I would like to re- introduce the question regarding the manufactures installation instructions. Are these things only listed for modular and or manufactured homes????

The Handbook features a P & S Legrand series connector that I have not been able to locate on web, I have visited the MOLEX site posted by IWIRE and they only refer to articles 550 and 551, although some of the text would lead you to believe the product is suitable for all installations. The language in 334.40 (B) as well as 300.15 appears to be permissive, but I would like to see a manufacture actually list the product for a stick built structure.

As I mentioned when I previously investigated this type of product the manufactures’ literature pretty much limited its use to article 550 and 551 installations.

I’m also concerned regarding unrestricted use of this product if it is so difficult to locate in a supply house or a Mfg.Web sites. UL’s white book is generally generic to a product and relies on the manufactures product markings to indicate the suitability of similar designed devices.

Well I guess I would like to see a more definitive listing to insure this product is acceptable in all occupancies.

Charlie

#40932 08/15/04 10:11 PM
B
In case no one noticed on page 34 of this months EC&M issue there is a description of the device made by AMP. It states "approved for use in a variety of applications, including residential branch circuits, manufactured housing, and pre fabricated building structures." Since manufactured housing and pre fab is mentioned in addition to "residential" this indicates to me they are approved for use in a stick dwelling.
BigB

[This message has been edited by BigB (edited 08-15-2004).]

#40933 08/16/04 01:39 AM
S
these taps and connectors are the ones i was referring to in another forum thread that was some pictures posted of a house with duck taped blocks in the crawl space. the company i work for uses them in emergency type repairs for nm in walls and in attic spaces. there is a manufactured houseing site near us and we do a lot of the hookups when they slide the 2 halves together aswell as setting the services to them. the literature provided by the wholesale house at the time is that they were suitable for use in the walls and in the attic (listed and labeled for nm, as nmwire is to be used fished in voids ETC.)the company policy is use them only as a last last resort but we have used them, they are easy to get but they are spendy about 3-4 dollars

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard