ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by HotLine1 - 05/14/24 03:41 PM
Electricians revenge
by gfretwell - 05/09/24 08:24 PM
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 39 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
The 'devil is in the details'. For as much time as I have been in the industry, I and all others have used wirenuts for all splices. I noticed in my reading the two different UL references: 486 for regular wirenuts and 467 for grounding. Exactly what the difference is, I am not sure. I believe that regular wirenuts are not 'tested' for grounding purposes: does this mean that they are not good for grounding? I am not sure, but I would say they are fine, as I have not heard or seen any info of failures of the millions of these installations. But... in court if an attorney uses this info....

I also spoke to the techie about using greenies on regular splices and he said that they were not designed to be used for regular splicing, as the spring has to have the conductor pass through the hole to be effective.
Again, just thinking out loud!

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
E
I just did a little poking around at UL.com and found that I have to pay them $210.00 for the current version of 486C in .PDF format!!

Al Hildenbrand
E
The .PDF copy of UL 467 also costs $210.00. . . $420.00 total just to read the limitations of the material that the NEC requires me to use.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.
"That's some catch, that Catch-22," he observed.
"It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed.

Al Hildenbrand
S
I want to weigh in on the wire nut vs crimp sleeve issue. I use wire nuts exclusively on commercial work. When doing residential I use a lot of crimp sleeves. I always twist my wires and when I cut off the excess I leave one long to tie to the device. This really makes a lot neater looking box IMO than using a wire nut. It s especially handy when making up three and four device switches. I just leave enough long ground wires to connect to each switch.
That to me is better than cutting three or four short pieces of wire to make pigtails. BTW, I like T&B crimpers. The orange and black handles make them easy to find in the tool bag

Z
PCBelarge,- Ideal crimp sleeves are a UL & CSA product. For Cu/Cu connections.

Shoot first, apologize later.....maybe
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard