ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by HotLine1 - 05/14/24 03:41 PM
Electricians revenge
by gfretwell - 05/09/24 08:24 PM
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 192 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#38438 05/24/04 01:27 PM
R
Bob,
Sam's post seems to be right on point, the act of letting copyrighted matrial be adopted into law basically gave away the copyright.
You can't have an enforcable code unless it is adopted as law. This is a no win for everyone.
Lets hope the NFPA can find a solution to this issue.
There is only one solution...the complete loss of the NEC and 1000s new of local codes.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
#38439 05/24/04 01:44 PM
I
I hope someone can come up with a better solution than that. When forced into a corner people, companies and organizations can get pretty creative when survival is in the balance. I am an optimist I have faith a solution can be found. [Linked Image]

I agree the loss of the NEC is a no win situation and the thought of 1000s of local codes makes me want to be a painter. [Linked Image] (no codes)

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#38440 05/24/04 01:49 PM
B
No contractor worth his salt would not own a book of the codes he had to follow, and they can certainly afford access to these books.

These rulings are designed to make codes available to the general public? Fine, make it state law that all libraries must have on hand revised copies of all locally pertinant codes within one month of their publication.

A lot of libraries already have the 2002 version and many early editions of the NEC available in reference. No one has to give away a $60 publication.

-John

[This message has been edited by BigJohn (edited 05-24-2004).]

#38441 05/24/04 01:50 PM
R
I agree the loss of the NEC is a no win situation and the thought of 1000s of local codes makes me want to be a painter.

Thats the truth. This is scary business.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#38442 05/24/04 02:58 PM
R
BigJohn,
The governmental unit that has adopted the codes must have them on file and must make them available for viewing to anyone who wants to see them.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
#38443 05/24/04 03:30 PM
A
I think that the NFPA will work with insurance underwriters, as they did many moons ago, and arrive at a workable plan in order to sustain the NEC and permit governmental units to position the NEC, and other codes, in their set of laws and regulations.
The NFPA will, in all probability, be obliged to relinquish the copyright in order to achieve this action. The insurance underwriters could lend a hand in code enforcement by declining coverage to unsafe installations. That would get attention in a rush.
Sam

#38444 05/24/04 04:07 PM
R
Sam,
Without the copyright, how is the NFPA going to survive? The profits from the sale of the NEC and related items provide most of the income for the NFPA.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
#38445 05/24/04 07:21 PM
Idea for taking care of the NFPA's finances if the NEC should become something of public record...

As cities & municipalities adopt the NEC into it's rules regarding electrical installations, have a, oh lets just say $5 NFPA access surcharge on electrical permits, that actually goes back to the NFPA to cover their costs.. Kind of a licensing agreement for use of the NEC between the city & the NFPA.. With this $5, access to the locally adopted version of the NEC, plus local ammendments, will be made available via internet for the duration of the permit.. Your permit# plus a code printed on the permit would be the password.

If the cities can pay the "red light camera" manufacturers (private companies) to write money-orders to the public for them... why cant they pay the NFPA (private company) for their information as well??

-Randy

#38446 05/25/04 09:40 AM
J
JBD Offline
Making something available for free and paying for printed copyrighted material are not mutually exclusive.

Each municipality would still need to purchase a printed copy of the NEC to make it available for viewing. How many electricians will want to carry their free "downloaded" electronic copy in their toolbox? Who really wants to print and bind over 1000 pages?

My guess is there will still be a very large demand for printed copies. NFPA may not always be able to charge big bucks, but they will be able to charge something. Another money maker would be to make the Handbook comments "legal interpretations" and charge "two arms and a leg".

#38447 05/26/04 12:25 AM
N
In order for any code or handbook to have"legal interpretations",it has to be adopted into law at either state or local level. That would just add another copy righted publication to this particular mess.
I agree with Don, let those who want to see a free copy go to the law library and read it there. Those of us who use it every day are going to want thier own copy.

ed
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard