ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
NonLinerarLoad,
Go to www.churchsoundcheck.com. You have to subscribe to the forum. The moderators are professionals and they know what thay are doing.

There are a couple of things you may want to try.
Make sure all your audio is on the same phase in the panel.
Check to see if you have a "Pin One " problem. Open up any XLR connector in the path of the problem and make sure the pin #1 is NOT connected to the shell of the connector.
Make sure the gain structure is set properly. You may want to "lift" the shield off of pin #1 on the input of the sub amp to see if this clears the problem. I'm sure your engineers check all these.
You may have a problem with the crossover. I've seen this happen before. A few components wear out and cause noise in the system.

There are MANY forums for pro audio out there. I highly suggest joining Church Soundcheck. More knowledge there than my brain can handle.(Which is not much)
Let us know what you find.

Blessings
Mark

N
Thanks for the input!

I will check out the sites posted. Will post here if a resolution comes about, and if I need more advice.

The system is a year old or so, it has been checked out. And of course nobody wants to pass the buck, or look as if they aren't capable of finding the problem, that includes us.

Thanks again!!!

...Hi,Non-Linear,
I just read an article in the latest issue of EC&M magazine,that deals with substantial Harmonic Distortion in a night club that rendered the bands equipment damaged and never "right" after playing there that one night..Check this out,..it could pertain to your problem at the church..Click here..>> http://ecmweb.com/mag/electric_harmonics_nightclubs_electrical
Russ

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 05-24-2004).]

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
OK...I used to be a DJ and a soundman....not really good at either but here is a idea...

how many amps are you running?..i mean sound amplifiers...is it possible to disconnect all inputs going to the amplifiers ?...if so, try that and see if you can eliminate half the equipment...if the hum does not stop, try a different circuit for the amplifiers...next, check the sheild on the cables going to the speakers...you can use an ohm meter for this and since the problem is intermitent, move and shake the cord while securly attached with the ohm meter as moving the test leads around during ohm checks can cause fluctuations...is cables are good and amplifiers are good then it must be a power problem must likely a ground-loop of some kind....i had an amplifier one time that did this and to see if it was the amp or the power , I pluged a two prong adapter in the wall then plugged in the amplifier...in a sence, disconnecting the ground prong on the amps plug...the noise was gone....but I am not convinced this is your problem...but try it.

also....if you can time the hum, it will give you a good idea as to what might be causing it....sometimes I have seen the cooling fans inside sound equipment kick on and cause a hum...and I have seen a refridgerator do the same as the compressor kicks on...air conditioners, lights and other things can cause these problems so don't limit your self to your power supply and sound equipment....

also keep us updated as I want to know what the bugger is...

Thanx , Mike

...Despite all my RAGE, I am STILL just a rat in a cage...
me again...just wanted to say I am aware of my bad spelling so don't bother filling this post with rhetoric about my poor spelling !!!

Thanx

...Despite all my RAGE, I am STILL just a rat in a cage...
In the sound biz, there is a hi tech term for a 2 prong adapter - it's called a "ground lift". And it may actually eliminate a buz, so try it. You can try it at the sound board also, a possible source for noise. If it helps, this just points to some grounding problems in your line voltage system.

Radar

There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
Here's another resource you can try:
www.churchproduction.com

Good luck, and please let us know what you find out.

Radar

There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard