ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 216 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#37022 12/02/06 08:03 PM
N
Anyone who doubts that there are morning and non-morning people are cordially invited to try and wake me any day before 9:00. I used to work for an IT company, and They wanted me at work every morning at 7:00. I tried it for a week, and then called a meeting with my boss and told her that I just couldn't do it. I would be awake and on time, but I would feel awful for the entire day. I tried everything, going to bed as early as 7:00, caffeine, several alarm clocks, etc. I can get up, but it ain't gonna be a pretty sight, just like the work I do in the morning.

Left without an alarm clock, I will wake up naturally at about 11:00, and then be able to work well until about 2:00AM. I was running this schedule for a while, when I was doing mostly live sound reinforcement jobs. I never really had to be at work before about 4:00 in the afternoon, so it worked out well. Unfortunately, that market shrinks a lot with the cold weather.

I remember offering to let a friend of mine try to wake me up once. He came to my house at 7:00 armed with a long extension cord and a leaf blower and let himself in. He was amazed when I woke up 4 hours later and didn't remember any of it, even though I spoke to him. I am not a drug user, so please don't think that. I just have a really hard time waking up in the morning. When I was in high school, I used to use a 100db buzzer (kinda like a fire alarm, but a little different sound) and a mechanical time switch as an alarm clock. It worked, but my neighbors hated it.

[This message has been edited by napervillesoundtech (edited 12-02-2006).]

#37023 12/02/06 08:18 PM
I
Well only you know how it is for you.

However knowing your trouble with early waking would it be wise to take a job that starts early?

Would you expect the place you work to bend around your schedule?

My only real point is this.

If you take a job that starts at 7 AM you either get there on time or find a new job.

IMO there is no third option.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#37024 12/02/06 08:54 PM
L
Ok, now I would also have to say that the repetetive tardiness is showing a lack of respect for the employer. I used to go through spells of this when I was still a young 'prenitce. One big reason why I shaped up is... I love what I do for a living. Being on time is just a big way of showing it. Not to mention respect for my fellow electricains.

Luke

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

#37025 12/02/06 09:13 PM
P
I was one of those "always late" people when I was working for the blue big box hardware store. For most of my jobs, it was a combination of low morale and high tolerance for absenteeism that made me come in late all the time. I didn't wake up on time when morale was very low (I'm not a psychiatrist, but maybe it's a subconscious thing, like not hearing the alarm, accidentally resetting it when you first wake up and not remembering doing it, etc.)

I also agree that I had a problem. What was worse is there was no policy on being late, other than 2+ hours late meant an absence. Unfortunately for me and the store, i was stuck there until a series of unfortunate events (a.k.a. I'm a crybaby) led me to just quit, not even call in and tell them that I quit. Mainly, school and work were getting the best of me.

I have a new job with a pretty set schedule. Where my old job was opening meant be there at 5AM, closing meant be there at 3PM, my new job's open/close shifts are only 90 minutes apart. Plus, the morale is alot better. Suddenly, I find myself waking up on time every day (except twice, when I forgot to set my alarm, and even then I was only 30 minutes late at the most).

Every person is different, I agree. However, having a high tolerance for lates will eventually cause a pattern. Poor morale can be a factor. In my case, it was justified, as we had to battle cut hours, unbearable workloads, and sub human treatment. However, many cases of low morale stem from an employee's personal or professional problems, not the company's. But, an employee is not only responsible for showing up on time, but KNOWING whether or not they can or can't, and TAKING the appropriate action (i.e. find a new job, try to work a different schedule, etc.)

If I was in my boss's position at the big box store, I would have fired myself. Instead of trying to work something out that I knew I couldn't, I should have looked for a new job alot sooner.

#37026 12/03/06 09:24 AM
R
IMO, he is hired to work 480 minutes a day and I pick the minutes of the day he works.

If he can not adjust his schedule around these 480 minutes he will not have to worry about it, these minutes will be his again to find another employer who will work around his schedule.

Roger

#37027 12/03/06 03:08 PM
J
The situation is difficult in a small shop. However, my m.o. is that I do the best I can for all my guys, and I want them to do their best for me. If they can't be on time, they are not doing their best. It would not be acceptable to me. I've got no problem with anyone being late once in a while, but every day wouldn't cut it.

I had a friend who had a habitually late employee. He finally gave the ultimatum that everyone must be on site by 7:00. Next day guy is 15 minutes late. Sends him home. Following day he is 5 minutes late. Sends him home. Third day he is 1 minute late. Sends him home. Fourth day on - guy's on time. Problem solved.

That is the route I'd take.

John Erickson
#37028 12/03/06 10:26 PM
P
I used to be a foreman -- non-electrical, and my janitor was from Costa Rica. Perhaps their concept of a 7 a.m. starting time meant sometime between 7 and 8 o'clock. If he didn't show up, I would have to get his work done myself [cleaning toilets] but when he did show up, I was relieved. At least the employee should call if he is going to be late.
On the other hand, Herb told us about this guy who started arriving late. He talked with the guy and it turned out that his wife left him and he had to deliver his daughters to their various schools. Herb explained this predicament to his crew and they understood.
"guy is 15 minutes late. Sends him home. Following day he is 5 minutes late. Sends him home. This is probably the best approach. You may want to be shopping for someone else. He isn't the only super apprentice in the field. [I was the other one.]
Roger got fired this way. Mark said, You're late. I can't use you. Go home."
One time, as I was waiting for starting time, this pickup truck arrives next to me. The driver is barefoot -- probably just got out of bed and hopped in his truck. Then he put his boots on. This is cutting it closely. Shouldn't one prepare himself for the day with a figther pilot's breakfast?
My advice for the employee in this situation is to not look at the official starting time as the NEC limit. You say, "The start time is 7 a.m. and it takes me 18 minutes to drive there. So I will leave the house at 6:42." But what if you hit too many red lights or there is a neat traffic accident that you get to gawk at? So I would aim to arrive about 6 a.m. and spent the rest of the time drinking my coffee and solving my Sudoku.
~Peter

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard