ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
I saw this on an insert for my new MC cutter. I was planning on buying one to see how well they work. Anyone else tried one??
http://www.seatekco.com/sa-200l.htm

Mike Wescoatt
C
Good ole $5 utility knife

I've tried every "new fangled" gadget out there for stripping NM cable, but I still like the razor knife the best. I would recommend the Klein K1412 for flat cables however.

[This message has been edited by CTwireman (edited 03-22-2004).]

Peter
J
I use a utility knife but started to use Lennox blades, I think, they have a squared end which makes stripping less likely to skin the conductors.

...I gotta go with CT wireman on this one,...I use a regular utility knife,and NEVER cut the conductors,..even on twisted 3 wire,..I've tried everything else,and this is the best way for me...
Anyone know of an easy way to strip UF..?? it's a real pain...I usually skin one side,pull out the conductor,then the ground, then the other insulated conductor...is there an easier way???
Russ

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
S
SJT Offline
Attic Rat,
With 14/2 and 12/2 UF, if you're looking at the end of the cable, you'll see the ground wire
favors one flat side or the other. I skin about a 1/2 inch off, then I pull the ground wire with the linemans pliers. Once I pull back the ground, one at a time, I then pull back the black and white, to what I need in length.
Hope that helps

W
SJT, That's what I do too. Just returned from Guatemala with the AF Reserve. We ran miles of UF there. Almost forgot, I am kinda new so, hello to all

Patrick
R
I've used one of these for a long time and love it - simple and cheap. The tooth scores/cuts the sheath so it rips off but I've never had it damage any of the conductor's insulation. It works on 14/12-3 also, although it's a little fussier. With a little practice you can run the ripper down twisted NM and it scores enough so the sheath just splits off. The hole in the handle means you can run it up the cable if you're ripping off a lot of sheath.

http://www.ehardwicks.com/product_line/pros/KLN-74018.htm

N
My trick for UF is to start at the end with a SHARP utility knife. split the cable right down the middle with the knife, keeping the blade angled slightly so it glides along one side of the bare ground wire.

The bare ground wire will be free at this point, and a careful "ringing" with the knife blade around the other 2 conductors will cut through the outer jacket and allow it to be slid off the conductors.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard