ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 139 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Small cord and plug connected units do exist. I had one at my last house. 10' so cord with a gfi in a bell box in line and a 15A plug. with such low power, it needed to be connected all the time. For the bigger unit, I'm sure some building or fire code would not buy stringing such a cord through a door or window.

P
400.8(3)
Does not permit cords through doorways, windows or similar openings.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
R
walrus/cpalm1,

We have a room in our addition built specifically for a spa. The room has tile floors. I ran THWN in liquidtight flex from the spa to a box in the wall. In the box, the THWN is wire-nutted to 6/4 NM. The circuit itself is protected by a 50 amp GFCI, 2-pole breaker.

I ran that because I couldn't use a cord and plug connection. Otherwise, I would've just used a marine-grade, weatherproof 50 amp cord and plug set.

Rob

Tom Offline
Bill,

There is a dealer in my area selling package units for indoor/outdoor use that come factory wired with a cord, 120 volts , 20 amp circuit required. The unit is convertible to 240 & the instructions call for hard wiring, no cord at this voltage.

These units are sold this way so the happy owner can take it home & plug it in & enjoy. The joy ends when the weather turns cold & the heater won't keep up (it is a 240 volt heater being run on 120 volts).

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
I
Wow this is all very confusing, I am glad I do not have to wire these I would be lost.

This further confuses me.
factory wired with a cord, 120 volts , 20 amp circuit required. The unit is convertible to 240 & the instructions call for hard wiring, no cord at this voltage.

I am missing the logic here, 120 or 240 still 120 volt to ground.

Why is one treated different from the other?

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard