ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 211 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#32638 12/31/03 10:47 AM
M
Thanks for the welcome guys!

Electric Eagle,

I got mine in May, 1998 with a 94. Studied like a mad man daily for 6 months prior to the test. I still left the examination site wondering if I could have possibly passed. I was quite surprised and pleased with the results, as I am not a gifted test taker.

On the technical side there were lots of questions on 3 phase transformer calculations and connections. Quite a few motor control circuit questions. Feeder and service load calculations. The big one was sizing the 3 phase service for an apartment complex. A few hotel questions. They hit about as much of the code as you can in an 8 hour testing period.

There was also several OSHA & tax type questions too.

One thing for sure, no way I could have walked in cold and passed without lots of preparaton. I have not talked with anyone who has recently taken the exam so I can't say if its been dumbed down or not. Heck, some folks here might think the one I took was dumbed down. [Linked Image]

#32639 12/31/03 11:05 AM
F
Macon-

You described the test well. When I took mine in 1988 it was quite similar. We also had to qualify to sit for the examination, i.e. proof of on the job experience and education.
Other than "electrical inspector, plan review ", it was the most difficult exam I had ever taken.

Frank

#32640 12/31/03 01:40 PM
H
Here in NJ there is only one license. You are either an electrical contractor or you are not. If you are a licensed electrical contractor you get a license stating that you are licensed. Then you have to but a business permit. That says you are bonded and insured and you are now allowed to put your license to work. The unions have apprentices, and journeyman titles, but that real just tells someone how many years of experience you have. As a licensed electrical contractor, I can work on any type of communication wiring, any kind of fire alarm wiring, any kind of AC/DC wiring, and any kind of high voltage wiring that I want. ( I would be stupid to work on high voltage without the proper training.) Yet, my company can always hire someone who was qualified and my company could still dothe work.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard