ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 409 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section or in section 81 2110 or 81 2112:

What does section 81 2110 and 81 2112 say?

P
pforte Offline OP
I certainly like the way it is handled in New Jersey. Sorry that you have had to get hassled unecessarily though. I am guessing you probably don't mind so much considering at least someone is watching your back.

Wiring is no hobby
N
Elecbob
Those two sections deal with those who hold older installer or class B licenses that are no longer issued after Sep 19 1993. Those people have an option to renew thier old license and keep working as they did before or of taking the test for a fire alarm installer, journeyman or contractor. The state board also combined the contractor and master test/license at the same time. The old contractor who required a master as a qualifing employee was NOT grandfathered. Those licenses ended Dec 31 1994.

ed
G
I'm an unlicensed partner in a 2 man shop.
My partner is letting his license expire in June of this year.

He was going to do it last year and I talked him into 1 more year to allow me time to get my own license.

He now has another job and lots of back problems,and hasn't been to a jobsite much in a long time. Technically,I/we could be shut down because he's not available full time.

There's no inspections/permits in a 3 or 4 county area here. Judging from others work that I see,we do some of the most code-compliant work around,and am always striving to improve on that.

This is a small place,and even when I'm lucky enough to get my own license,I don't think I'll be turning anyone in. If word got out around here that you did something like that,there could be reprucussions,maybe even tar and feathers.

Only when inspections/permits become the law locally,will things change much.

Russell

E
The State of Minnesota has regulation similar to what NESparky posted above (Nebraska and Minnesota have reciprocity agreements for electricians).

The enforcement of the regulations is directly proportional to the population density. . .the greater the number of people per square mile, the higher the official scrutiny.

Al Hildenbrand
L
LK Offline
The Idea of a permit is misunderstood, The purpose of a permit and inspection is to keep your insurance protection. If you were to have work done without permits or inspection on an insured home then chances are good you will lose your insurance protection. In case of a loss, they could give you back your premium payments and a small consideration payment of a few thousand dollars, this can vary from state to state and what insurance company you may have. So when you get that trunk slammer that tells you no permit or inspections needed to do your work, you may end up paying a very high price.

S
so we have the entire gambit here, from locales' where unqualified work is a criminal offense, to that where one could be tarred & feathered for pointing it out.

the focus of revenue trumping safety rears it's ugly head

the threat of insurance validation, while relevant, has no real teeth except for that which is after the fact
(i've talked to many an agent on the issue)

those of us that uphold the code without enforcement trying our hardest to be ethical tradesmen do so putting the well being of our business at stake, gambling the very food in our childrens mouths, while the IAEI holds it's 75th gala convention...fiddling ,with YOUR DUES folks, as rome burns....

yet sooner or later , just like those poor jews who marched into the ovens realizing thier fate inevitable, we will make consessions or go out of business

the invisible hand of the market thus dictates that the unethical, the unqualified flourish....the powers that be advocating this through thier silence.

Myself i suggest boycotting the IAEI ,as well as the NFPA. don't pay thier dues, don't buy thier goods, and make your position known to your local Representative that they are asleep at the wheel on the issue of safe housing , or how addressing a level playing field is mutually benifical for all concerned.

It's thier job to listen to you....

Go here to cultivate your own states e-mail list

Steve ~aka sparky~

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 01-03-2004).]

M
mj Offline
here in my area, first time working without a license,$100.fine, secound time $500.fine and or/30 days in jail.the electrical inspector has full authority to make arrests.

L
LK Offline
Sparky,
I am just about ready to pack it in, as you noted we have to follow the good book, while others run over us. Last week I quoted wiring for an addition, the owner told me all you guys are thieves, my carpenter does electrical work and said you don,t need a permit, the electricians just put that money in their pocket. Just in case you don't know it is ok to put 12 recessed lights and 14 new recpt,s on an existing 15 amp circuit with the furnace. I should have consulted with the carpenter, he has done a lot of these jobs and never had a problem.

has done a lot of these jobs and never had a problem..

............YET !!!!!!!!!!! he's just been lucky !!!!!

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard