ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I
iwire Offline OP
Thanks for the ideas, I am in a hurry now but I will get back to this.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
S
Bob,
It all depends on how much you want to spend and what you are going to use it for. IMO if you are just going to use it for taking workplace photos then you can go on the lower end. If you are going to use it for taking pictures of the family then go on the higher end. I just recently bought a Canon G3. 4 megapixel and am extremly happy with it. I spent a little more than I wanted to, but IMO it is worth it.

Case in point when my wife graduated from college she bought a good camera. It takes great pictures. We know this because once we went to Disneyland and her sister had borrowed her camera. So we bought one of those throw away cameras. The pictures that we got back were grainy and not the quality that we were used to.

Scott

I
iwire Offline OP
Scott I agree with what you are saying.

This camera will be for the job, I would like to keep it on the low end.

If it is a high end camera and gets lost/stolen/dropped, I will be BS.

If I can find a halfway decent one I will be happy.

Trumpy, thanks for the tip about signed for windows, I have had trouble with my old windows programs on XP.

Waymag, That was a good link I could not find one local right now.

I do not mind buying online, but something like this I want to try out first.

Thanks for everyone's input, looks like 2 mega pixel or better, USB and "listed" [Linked Image] for Windows XP.

The majority of pictures I have posted in the photo section were taken with the disposable box cameras (and it shows) that I keep in the van with me.

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 08-26-2003).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
D
I'm with Fred The Sony Cyber-shot 2.0 mega pixels has been a reliable camera for my purposes. I still use a traditional camera though because the printing of photos is "TIME PROHIBITIVE" not to mention the cost.

Digital is great for getting pics on the web.

I've my camera broke tomorrow.. I would replace it will another Sony.

PS. When digital camera's were just getting "cheap" I picked up a Hewlett Packard Camera from Walmart for $80 pure crap.. it ended up in the trash after about 4 months or one light dropping.

R
Some other things to consider when you look at digital cameras:

• Digital vs optical zoom. Some of the "entry-level" 2 megapixel cameras are digital zoom only, which will degrade picture quality.
  • LCD - size (1.5" vs 1.8") and brightness (if you want to see it outside).
  • Shutter speed equivalency. My brother has a Sony Mavica he borrows frequently - definitely a higher end camera (5 Megapixel, records on mini-CD, etc. - about $700). One really notable difference between that camera and mine is the speed. It's fast enough so it can take candids at parties, where the camera I have is fine for things that don't move too quickly.

I have a Toshiba 2 megapixel, 3x optical/2x digital zoom that I bought last year during that "4 hour morning after Thanksgiving sale" for $150. It does everything I want and I haven't yet seen a comparable camera for the same price.

If you can wait, you may be able to pickup a similar deal during that rush - it does mean dealing with those day-after crowds, though.

Rob

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard