ECN Forum
Posted By: iwire Digital Camera Recommendations - 08/23/03 11:26 PM
I had a nice digital camera that died, now I have to get another one.

I am not looking for the ultimate camera, I need a modest camera.

I will not be having the images printed on film, I will only be looking at the images on my PC screen.

It will be going on the job so a delicate and or expensive camera is not what I want.

Features I do want are zoom, standard batteries (AA etc.), USB.

Anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks, Bob
Posted By: waymag Re: Digital Camera Recommendations - 08/23/03 11:46 PM
http://hardwarecentral.dealtime.com/xPC-Samsung_Digimax_130

Go to that site and check out the Digimax. I got mine last year for 100 bucks at Circuit City. It has been a great camera that is easy to use and takes exellent pictures for the price.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Digital Camera Recommendations - 08/25/03 06:15 AM
Bob,
Just as a note,
Don't go for the cheapest that you can find either.
Make sure that it is Digitally Signed for Windows.
I had a LOT of problems getting my Ben-Q camera to even load photo's properly to my PC.
Won't be buying that brand again!. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 08-25-2003).]
Posted By: electure Re: Digital Camera Recommendations - 08/25/03 12:01 PM
I've got an Olympus that I got for under $100.
Although it's only 1.3 megapixel,it has all the little bells and whistles (macro, zoom, etc.) I've been very happy with it, and it's proven to be pretty rugged (I keep it in a case).
One suggestion, regardless of which camera you get, is to get a battery charger with "no memory" batteries (Nimh). My batteries have to be changed about every 3 days under normal use, and I would have paid Eveready quadruple the initial cost of the darn camera by now had I not been able to recharge them.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Digital Camera Recommendations - 08/25/03 03:56 PM
Bob:
For what it's worth, I bought a Sony. Under 350, takes great pics, USB, easy.

IT's prime purpose was for "work"; but, I started using it, and printing the shots, and now it's all I use.

John
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Digital Camera Recommendations - 08/25/03 05:39 PM
A couple of very general comments—a few popular features worth getting are “ATA/compact-flash” memory cards, a USB cable and AA-battery operation. There will always be a tradeoff between truly useful features and its price tag. It may help to pattern your selection after what your associates have used [and also what they have most hated about theirs, too,]

A very useful feature is that trips to the photo processor are a thing of the past. It's best to not assume that money will be saved in the process. Care and feeding of a photo-quality printer will more that eat up what you'd spend in time and gasoline to the local drug-store photo processor. [Prices of color-inkjet cartridges and paper stock may take your breath away.]

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 08-25-2003).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Digital Camera Recommendations - 08/25/03 07:07 PM
Bob,

I don't know much about brands or models, but would suggest that you look for between 2 and 3 MegaPixels at a minimum. I have a 1.0 which was a great bargain at the time, but wasn't really happy with the sharpness. And once you start cropping and enlarging pictures on the PC lack of resolution becomes very obvious.

Bill
Posted By: Fred Re: Digital Camera Recommendations - 08/25/03 09:55 PM
I bought a Sony Cyber-Shot 2.0 mega pixel camera last fall. It has rechargable Ni-MH batteries(AA) that last a long time. In a pinch you can use regular AA batteries. I have been very happy with it and paid less than $200.00 at Walmart. I recently say a similar Sony that was 3.0 mega pixel for $179.00. I'm not sure Sony makes my model anymore.
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: Digital Camera Recommendations - 08/25/03 10:38 PM
I use a Nikon CoolPix 775. A nicely built unit, that can take a reasonable bit of physical abuse. 2.1 megapixel, compact flash, USB, and a relatively simple menu system for settings, etc. A decent autofocus system, and good quality lens.

Only downside is the battery life. The factory NiCd only lasts an hour or so if you aren't religious about turning it off between shots. The "power save" mode doesn't seem to save much power! [Linked Image] It won't run anything as common as AA cells, but it can take a relatively common lithium camera battery (2CR5), which gives much better life than the NiCd, especially in cold weather.

[This message has been edited by NJwirenut (edited 08-25-2003).]
Posted By: Sandro Re: Digital Camera Recommendations - 08/26/03 02:04 AM
I've had excellent success with Sony digital cameras. I feel Sony, if not the best, is among the best when it comes to any sort of video media (digitial cameras, dvd players, televisions, movie cameras.) Steer clear of any of their home or car audio products, or computers.

My biggest beef with Sony is that they are priced higher than comparable models, but the quality is definitely there.

Bye for now.
Posted By: iwire Re: Digital Camera Recommendations - 08/26/03 09:49 AM
Thanks for the ideas, I am in a hurry now but I will get back to this.

Bob
Posted By: Scotts Re: Digital Camera Recommendations - 08/26/03 07:03 PM
Bob,
It all depends on how much you want to spend and what you are going to use it for. IMO if you are just going to use it for taking workplace photos then you can go on the lower end. If you are going to use it for taking pictures of the family then go on the higher end. I just recently bought a Canon G3. 4 megapixel and am extremly happy with it. I spent a little more than I wanted to, but IMO it is worth it.

Case in point when my wife graduated from college she bought a good camera. It takes great pictures. We know this because once we went to Disneyland and her sister had borrowed her camera. So we bought one of those throw away cameras. The pictures that we got back were grainy and not the quality that we were used to.

Scott
Posted By: iwire Re: Digital Camera Recommendations - 08/26/03 09:12 PM
Scott I agree with what you are saying.

This camera will be for the job, I would like to keep it on the low end.

If it is a high end camera and gets lost/stolen/dropped, I will be BS.

If I can find a halfway decent one I will be happy.

Trumpy, thanks for the tip about signed for windows, I have had trouble with my old windows programs on XP.

Waymag, That was a good link I could not find one local right now.

I do not mind buying online, but something like this I want to try out first.

Thanks for everyone's input, looks like 2 mega pixel or better, USB and "listed" [Linked Image] for Windows XP.

The majority of pictures I have posted in the photo section were taken with the disposable box cameras (and it shows) that I keep in the van with me.

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 08-26-2003).]
Posted By: dinotats Re: Digital Camera Recommendations - 08/27/03 04:42 AM
I'm with Fred The Sony Cyber-shot 2.0 mega pixels has been a reliable camera for my purposes. I still use a traditional camera though because the printing of photos is "TIME PROHIBITIVE" not to mention the cost.

Digital is great for getting pics on the web.

I've my camera broke tomorrow.. I would replace it will another Sony.

PS. When digital camera's were just getting "cheap" I picked up a Hewlett Packard Camera from Walmart for $80 pure crap.. it ended up in the trash after about 4 months or one light dropping.
Posted By: rlrct Re: Digital Camera Recommendations - 08/27/03 02:40 PM
Some other things to consider when you look at digital cameras:

• Digital vs optical zoom. Some of the "entry-level" 2 megapixel cameras are digital zoom only, which will degrade picture quality.
  • LCD - size (1.5" vs 1.8") and brightness (if you want to see it outside).
  • Shutter speed equivalency. My brother has a Sony Mavica he borrows frequently - definitely a higher end camera (5 Megapixel, records on mini-CD, etc. - about $700). One really notable difference between that camera and mine is the speed. It's fast enough so it can take candids at parties, where the camera I have is fine for things that don't move too quickly.

I have a Toshiba 2 megapixel, 3x optical/2x digital zoom that I bought last year during that "4 hour morning after Thanksgiving sale" for $150. It does everything I want and I haven't yet seen a comparable camera for the same price.

If you can wait, you may be able to pickup a similar deal during that rush - it does mean dealing with those day-after crowds, though.

Rob
© ECN Electrical Forums