ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (ampherder, Scott35), 365 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
H
We have a person who wants a hot tub wired. They only have one option as to where to put it. That option happens to be under the service drop. Right now its abot 10-12' above the tub. We can move the meter and the drop and get the 22' clearance above but we have no way of getting the 10' clearance from the side.

Any suggestions?

Has anyone dealt with this type of problem before?

If you warn the homeowner of the violation and they still want it done, then what?

Happi,

My experience is that it will fail inspection if proper clearances aren't maintained. If you can't do it right I would not touch it.

(I assume that you're talking about conductor clearances) Do you know the actual clearance requirements in your area? As a general rule of thumb we used to figure if an overhead supply was 10 feet away horizontally it was ok, but the actual measurement should be taken from the conductor to the edge of the water surface which could be on a diagonal. This means if the proper height was maintained it could even pass directly overhead. Look at 680.8 there's a picture and a Table there.

Best bet is to check with your AHJ. Near me the POCO will even send someone to the house to take measurements and lay out the options for them

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 07-18-2003).]

Bill
C
But if it does pass inspection, politely decline their offer to use the hot tub in a thunderstorm... [Linked Image]

It's all about integrity.
L
LK Offline
No Hot Tub but a 4 day old auto fried crisp
the service hook failed and took the lateral with it. If that was a hot tub under the line serious problems. Only seen three hook failures in my time. The first one made me a believer.

W
Put the service drop underground? Route it away from the hot tub to avoid code and safety issues.

Link Copied to Clipboard