ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 390 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
macwire,
One thing that the Electrical Contracting business does NOT tell it's prospective employees(apprentices), is all of the side effects from inhaling fibre-glass Batt dust(pure glass shards), if you can see them flying around under the light of a trouble light, you are breathing them in!.
Another thing is knee injuries from crawling inside roof voids, you can wear all of the padding you like on your knees, but at the end of the day, it's your knees that carry the ultimate load.
I pulled a tendon in my left knee about two years ago, it's never healed, because of the continued stress on it, the doctor told me to give up crawling in roof voids, yeah right, how do you install wires then?. [Linked Image]
Don't let all of this get you down Macwire!, hell, I've had some of the best times at work as an Electrician and I wouldn't trade it for Nothin'!.
Just make sure that you use all of your PPE and keep your wits about you and you can't really go wrong.
As a parting word, Use this Maxim "If you are unsure how something works, leave it alone or ask someone that does know", this will save some fingers!.

C
CRW Offline
I'll echo the advice about using protection when around fiber dust as well as any dust like concrete, etc. Use a paper dust mask at least. Also get used to wearing safety glasses when at all possible. A lot of guys think it's no big deal, that you're a sissy if you need that stuff "just for this little job", but all that stuff builds up, and when you go to the doc to get that metal sliver pulled out of your eye, the first question will be "did you have safety glasses on?" Of course, everybody will lie at that point so they don't seem stupid or liable themselves. Don't spend any time kneeling on steel or concrete without some kind of knee pads. Most guys belittle this, but it DOES make a difference. Even a lot of time on a wooden deck will wreck your knees, or crawling on the tops of floorjoists/ceiling framing, etc. Your knnes aren't made to absorb that load, and your knee caps, ligaments, tendons, etc. will get hurt over time.

F
I have ruptured the bursa sacs in both of my knees over the years crawling in attics and crawl spaces. I've herniated a disc or two in my lower back from lifting awkwardly and from sneezing real hard while contorted in a cramped space. I lost my left eye 23 years ago while building board fence. I was wearing safety glasses with side shields but it was hot and I was sweaty and the glasses kept sliding down my nose as I bent over to nail the bottom board on. A cement coated 16d nail riccoched and went in my left eye just over the glasses. Be careful and exercise common sense and something will always jump up and bite you on the butt anyway.

S
Great topic. I have been doing it since oct-'89. I never wear protective glasses because they fog up in the humidity down hear, I never wear any resporators because they are annoying. All this, not because of the sissy label, but from my own bullet-proof stupidity. The result; I have used cases of eye baths, sometimes to the point were I had to spend time at the doctor to use the magnet, then wearing a patch over the eye for a day or so. Spending time in attics with the drop light exposing the glass floating around in the air and in my lungs exc.. I ache a lot more. I am 33, I have my first child due in October, and for whatever reason I am not the same bullet-proof man I was when I was 25, or even 30.
I think its the same no matter what you do, just use common sense. Sitting at a desk all day eating doughnuts and drinking sodas probably isnt good for you either.The electrical trade is great, and rewarding, just like anything else. The trick is using common sence, "which is not very common".
John

[This message has been edited by scjohn (edited 06-07-2003).]

P
Sorry to hear about our friends here who have some real problems.

I guess I'm doing pretty well, but then wiring work is only a part-time occupation for me, so I'm not at it 5/6/7 days a week.

That said, I have to admit that at 37 I find crawling into tight corners, across joists etc. more strenuous than I did say 10 years ago.

The glass fiber point is one I've come to ponder upon more in recent years. That stuff is horrible in a confined space, and it makes me wonder why we still use it in its present form in attics. The insulation pre-sealed in plastic which you can just lay between the joists or staple onto wall studs is looking better all the time.

B
Okay,
This is one of my favortie topics also,so forgive the preaching!
Before being a sparky, I was teaching Pilates, yoga and stretching for years.(still do teach a couple of days a week)
Got into sparkin' because I got bored being indoors and doing the same thing everyday...

Anyway, I learned a lot about how to properly use your body to do a task. When I started sparkin' it was in residential work. One of the worst things you can do for your body is to repeatedly work on your knees.
When trimming out plugs, I would sit on my butt to do the work; since I was an apprentice at the time, I caught hell from my JW who said, do it on one knee, your wasting time!
Trying to be as diplomatic as possible, I told him I worked with a lot of people with bad knees and this was a solution. He didn't like that at all!

My solution: I don't do residential work anymore. But I wish people had more of an open mind about doing the job rather than the job doing you! By the way, this guy had knee problems and his brother had a bad back.
There is a reason OSHA has guidelines for safe work pratices.

I'm 46 now and still in good health. I hope to be sparkin' well into my 70's!

Spark in good health!

-Brian

F
Alright i'll toss in my 11 years and bearly $.02
I opened my shop 15 months ago and tell my guys at least 3 times a week to grab thier safety gear for one reason or another. i am big on eyes, ears, feet, and flash. We work with a bunch of a/c guys as well and i always harp on thier new guys about knockin duct w/o ear plugs. I ask if they like music and if they want to be able to in 10 years.
My favorite line is if they want to prove they're a man to someone else on the job, show them your *#@&!!!. maybe some day they will work for someone who doesn't care. Protect Yourself

D
I'm 48 and am having slight problems with my knees from attics and crawl spaces. I didn't start wearing knee pads until about 5 years ago. After 10 sinus infections in one year I always wear a respirator in attics and crawl spaces. Work has been Flat Out, so I refuse the attic work now. Also I occasionally wear wrist straps from the screwdriver work (repetitive stress).

I start every day with a hot bath to loosen up and I'm ready to go. I also roll a tennis ball under my foot to stretch the arch (podiatrists advice!) Also, I lay off the caffeine---shaky hands don't mix with electrical work.

As a final note---it sure beats roofing and concrete work!

R
bad lower back, left knee, right shoulder right hand. neck etc. use your finger tip on the most painful lump of muscle pushing slightly deeper with each breath until the muscle releases. i love this trade, but being 5'6" and 130lbs has its drawbacks when your running rigid or pulling 500mcm wire. like they said get help for heavy loads. eat rightand work out.

R
Am I the only one that finds it a little weird reading a post from Glenn Z talking about his health, now that he is no longer with us? Its really too bad...the industry lost a great assett with his passing.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard