ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#25752 05/17/03 10:23 PM
R
rj Offline OP
Well I started the trade almost 4 years ago green as green can be. I have told them that some things are hard for me to learn so almost 4 years of telling them this they finally think it is time to send me to trade school. I can't wait to start the class so I can learn more of the trade. Any one have an good ideas for going back to school after being out of school for 10 years?

#25753 05/18/03 10:19 AM
B
Congratulations RJ!

Since you're an adult, you should have the necessary discipline to keep up with your studies in trade school.

When I went through the 4 year apprenticeship school in Denver, we had school once a week for 4 hours. Then you had approximately 6 to 8 hours of homework for the next week.

Many people get bogged down trying to memorize everything in the text they're reading.
I would recommend that you get a book on how to study. It might sound crazy, but you learn to highlight the points you need to know instead of trying to absorb every little bit of material.
Another thing is to keep good notes when the instructor is lecturing. I think the most value I got out of trade school is getting another viewpoint from people in the trade, not just the shop you work in. It gives you a great pool of knowledge to draw on!

Again there is a science to taking notes, you don't try to furiously write down everything the instructor says, you write down highlights.

Again congrats on going to trade school, make the most out of it and ignore the whining babies who want to get out of class early and go to the bars. I always tell them that there's openings for drywall installers if they don't want to learn the electrical trade.

Good Luck!

#25754 05/18/03 11:38 AM
B
Congrats RJ!
You might want to brush up on your math skills (Algebra) before you start school.
Its easy to become a little rusty after being out of school for ten years and you
don't want to be left behind in class because of weak math skills.
Enjoy!!...Work hard...and you will do great.

Link Copied to Clipboard