ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
My worst nightmare came true:

In an effort to keep from having jobs overlap and having the higher paying jobs prioritized, I have managed to pretty much put myself out of work.

Short Story Long:

Just a few weeks ago, the point-man I deal with for my biggest job approached me at my suppliers with the question: "do you still want #13?"

"Yes, we're excited about it" I said...

And I preceded to let him know I would drive by from time to time to check status and he said he'd have the contract ready in a few days.

Few days pass, I decide to check on the status, weather has been bad, so I'm not too concerned.

Jimmy and I round the corner, and sure enough, only half the decking in on the roof, and there's probably a few more days left before they are ready for us...
except... there are electrical boxes hung...

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

And they look an awful lot like my old partner's style of work...

So, I'm starting to see red, and I drive to the office of said GC. They're in a meeting and want me to give them a half hour.

Half hour passes, I've calmed down some...

Still in meeting, come back in 15...

So, I come back 15 minutes later, finally talking to the same point-man.

Here are the facts:
1) The crew my old partner, Joe works for now got the job "to keep them busy".

2) No one contacted me or tried to contact me.

3) The point-man works for a different division now and wasn't part of the decision.

4) I have turned down work in order to keep the time open for the job.

5) I have gained the reputaion of being the "Electrical Evangelist" and a "troublemaker".

That's why I'm back to doing rescue work...

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
G
Had a similar situation happen last month.Had a verbal agreement.Went by to lay it out, well, you told the rest of my story. 8000 sq.ft out the window.Guess we'll have to do what the Govt. told the Indians"Endeavor to persevere".

S
While i applaude any EC's upholding the NEC as you do Virgil, i must ask in all honesty what batterymarch park has granted you in return here.

Every EC here has had to cheat a cu. in. volume, add the 31st conductor,or place a GFI on an old bathrm circuit.

It's a dog eat dog trade my friend, why wear the milkbone underwear?

M
Virgil:
Sorry to hear about this situation. I have no compassion for someone who will stab someone else in the back like this. I am not an electrician (big surprise, huh) but I have been here at ECN long enough to learn that this is a highly competitive, cutthroat business...I guess you have to learn the bad along with the good. It seems as though people want an EC who works "somewhere in the middle". No one wants to deal with an EC who does poor, slipshod work. On the other hand, no one wants to hire an EC who posesses values and strives to do a first class job (as you and others here do) because of the cost. Something has gone wrong somewhere along the way... I think it's called "the economy". my best wishes to you.

Mike (mamills)

E
Who's temp pole was on the job? When I set a temp pole on a job, it's considered a a contract to wire the house(IMO). But also in my area you have to pull a permit for the house to get the temp pole hooked up. If for no real reason a GC let someone else wire one of "my" jobs, I would be sending a bill for the profit I would've made on the job and for the use of my temp pole(which I set for free as part of a whole house job).

I don't know if you want to risk burning bridges, but you may have some recourse because of the situation you descibed.

Broom Pusher and
Virgil,

That Sucks!!! Flat-Out SUCKS!!!

Glad you kept your cool!!!
(I went Ballistic! - mad and bad words, not destroying anything!).

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
S
I've had those whom 'dangled the carrot' simply for a quick temp service. I also get many tire kickers this time of year, so i have 5-6 frames already.

ask for a schedule, get a test pattern look, and that's all i really need to know.

point?

i make my schedule, no one else. no one GC is that important for me to leave open a time frame without exacting dates , $$$$, an a signature.

because really, other that that, it's a fairy tale right? remember, we are one of a string of dominoes when solicited, GC's (et all psuedo GC's as well) either have it in one sock or they do not.

no prisioners my friends, don't even try the white flag bit with me, sorry.

C
C-H Offline
Virgil,

you seem to be up to impossible odds. I know this is heresy, but have you considered cutting the corners with the highest cost reduction and the least safety reduction. Make a list of what takes time and cost money and then look at any possible savings.

Perhaps reducing the standard of the installation by putting in a few receptacles less and fewer circuits?

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 03-21-2003).]

C-H, well in this case, I'd have to actually, get the job first... The profit potential comes later...

My goal is to make myself so busy (how?) that I will be in a good position to tell them where to go when they do call me...

</pipe dreams>

Not sure who hung the temp, I guess I should've known from that alone...

Right now I'm so discouraged that I didn't work yesterday, and I may not work today.

Guess I have a bad attitude towards the whole shebang.

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 03-21-2003).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
C
CRW Offline
Virgil, what do you (or they) mean by "electrical evangelist"?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard