ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ComputerWizKid), 331 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#222062 01/01/23 12:04 PM
B
BigB Offline OP
We all know that GFCI's fail, but in my experience it has always been in the "failure to protect" mode while still delivering power (before the newer standard). Since I've become a member on the various RV forums it seems to be the norm that folks think GFCIs go bad and start to trip when they shouldn't. Personally I have never seen this that I can recall. (I have seen GFCIs where the home owner didn't understand how to reset them and thus condemned them as bad). As a side note I always replace the GFCI when on a GFCI "reset" call, it makes the person paying the bill feel better about what they got for their money and it also provides them with the latest version, not to mention the "tripped" light which helps them understand how to reset it.
Just curious how many have seen GFCIs that trip too "easily" and a new one fixed the problem?

BigB #222063 01/01/23 01:56 PM
G
I have seen them fail to open or fail to even try to trip and even had a few that wouldn't reset but never fixed a GFCI tripping problem with a new GFCI because it was too sensitive.

Greg Fretwell
BigB #222068 01/02/23 08:21 PM
B
BigB Offline OP
That's what I thought, the general public will never believe it though.

BigB #222074 01/05/23 05:08 PM
S
I just had one where it was claimed that the GFCI was bad, I recommended replacing it, but informed them that the real culprit was the user connecting the toaster and the countertop Microwave into the same outlet. The breaker in the panelboard was tripping not the GFCI though the GFCI had minor overheating marks. I think GFCI's and properly sized breakers are great items.

On the other hand, I have yet to come across an AFCI that will work in systems that auto switch to generators (twice daily at one site) without tripping a reported 50% of the time. I have brought this to manufacturers, but they consider it a non-issue, just go and reset. I know that after I left at the twice daily, generator site, the AFCI's (second set, newer style) were thrown away and regular breakers installed. GFCI breakers would have been better behind my back.

I have also seen AFCI's in others new construction, have major issues. Too bad they were out of my jurisdiction, and I could not force a repair for the renter. Note that both of the circuits were also GFCI protected and the GFCI had no issues with the fridge and the washer. I really expect the issue in a skinned or pierced cables or issues in the outlet box. AFCI's tend to work pretty good now also.

BigB #222077 01/05/23 06:49 PM
Cat Servant
Tripping GFCI’s continue to be “diagnosed” as the problem when equipment is faulty — it’s always your fault for foolishly installing one (sarcasm intended)..
I,ve had GFCI’s fail in the permanently off position. I’ve seen GFCI’s trip over time in moist environments; that is, the unit is found in the tripped condition, you reset and run your tool normally — then find it needs to be reset when you next show up to use the receptacle.

BigB #222091 01/11/23 04:51 PM
Doing inspections, I've had GFI devices that were 'faulty'. A few that would not reset, a few that would not trip on test, one or two that 'smoked' when tripped.

We won't mention the mis-wired ones, or the AFCI devices installed instead of GFI devices (OOOPS)

John

Link Copied to Clipboard