ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 264 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Now I have to go to Trader Joes to try that!

Thanks Bill.

You won't be disappointed. laugh

Bill
Trumpy Offline OP
The way I've always made Macaroni Cheese, is to start off with a Roux sauce, made from flour, butter and milk.
You then add (after the roux is stirred out), cheese to your liking and make sure that it is still smooth and not
lumpy at all (you must keep stirring it).
You then pour the roux all over the cooked macaroni in a baking dish, cover this with bread-crumbs and a layer
of parmesan cheese and bake it until the top layer is crispy.

Trumpy Offline OP
Ohh Greg,
Why did I not see this before?
One of the best things I had in the US, when I was there, was BBQ (actual slow cooked meat).
BBQ here is stuff tossed on a grill outside and cooked in minutes, not hours.
We stopped in a place in South Carolina, that the tour host recommended, this was the only good place that he
had recommended, for the whole tour.
The brisket, the coleslaw, pulled pork, it was so nice.
I don't own a decent grill, per se but I'm looking to build a good in-directly heated smoker/BBQ.
There is nothing like slow cooked meat, if you can apparently rise above the cancer-causing elements that we are all supposed to avoid.........

G
The best is always going to be a smoker. Treager pellet smokers seem to be the current state of the art for back yard chefs.
You can make reasonable ribs if you slow cook them, sealed up in foil at around 275f (135) for about 3-4 hours then "smoke" them on a closed up grill with a bunch of hickory chips in there for about a half hour but you want low heat and a lot of smoke.

Greg Fretwell
G
Originally Posted by Trumpy
The way I've always made Macaroni Cheese, is to start off with a Roux sauce, made from flour, butter and milk.
You then add (after the roux is stirred out), cheese to your liking and make sure that it is still smooth and not
lumpy at all (you must keep stirring it).
You then pour the roux all over the cooked macaroni in a baking dish, cover this with bread-crumbs and a layer
of parmesan cheese and bake it until the top layer is crispy.

The recipe we have used in our Fish Fry events at church calls for a roux. It's good. Our recipe also calls for a small amount of mustard powder added for a little extra kick.

I remember my Dad insisting he have first choice of the crunchy top layer.

Last edited by grich; 05/24/21 04:52 PM.
I didn't know what roux was until I looked it up. Sounds like a good thing to use in recipes.

I agree with your Dad, the crunchy/crispy top of almost any dish is always the best part!
smile

Bill
K
I love to eat Chinese, Italian and Mexican.

Trumpy Offline OP
Don't get me wrong guys,
But what is the seeming obsession with Macaroni and Cheese in the US?
When I was over there in the 90's, they had that at most places we went to.
But they didn't do it the "English way" laugh
You start with a Roux sauce and build up your cheeses and then add your pre-cooked and drained
Macaroni elbows in a large baking dish and then top it with more cheese and breadcrumbs.
And a final flourish of Blue cheese on the top, before it is served.

G
Kids seem to like it, or that is just what Mom gives them and it gets carried over to buffets and family restaurants. It is pretty cheap if you don't use real aged cheese.
When I made some like you describe, my grandson wouldn't eat it it. He wanted the kind from the box, made with "processed cheese food". (not to be confused with real cheese)

Greg Fretwell
G
Originally Posted by Trumpy
Don't get me wrong guys,
But what is the seeming obsession with Macaroni and Cheese in the US?
When I was over there in the 90's, they had that at most places we went to.
But they didn't do it the "English way" laugh
You start with a Roux sauce and build up your cheeses and then add your pre-cooked and drained
Macaroni elbows in a large baking dish and then top it with more cheese and breadcrumbs.
And a final flourish of Blue cheese on the top, before it is served.

A lot of kids will eat Mac and Cheese when they won't eat anything else at a restaurant, but it's certainly not the same as the "English Way", as you say. Some of the TV chefs here will make an "adult" Mac and Cheese, which starts with the roux and a mix of cheeses that melt well, like cheddar and gruyere, breadcrumbs, Parm on top after baking. Just like your recipe. smile

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard