ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 249 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#218946 12/25/17 04:07 PM
S
I was wondering, when did certain device colors come around. I notice pre 1950s that brown was very common, possibly because it was color of bakelite. Brown did continue into the 70s. Then the 1950s had ivory which seemed to be the color of choice up until about the very late 1980s when white started showing up? Ivory still seemed pretty common until the late 90s/early 00s when white seemed to be everywhere, which seems to be the case until present day. Then the newest color almond came out which is sort of a compromise between the two.

Right now there is a Slater decorator outlet on ebay that has a woodgrain face. I have seen these from Lutron but didn't know Slater had them. It must be from the 1970s. There are also some Leviton Centura outlets which I believe was the foreunner to the Decora line. The ones on there are white, and this is coming from the late 60s.

So I guess the decorator lines from Leviton and Slater had lots of color choices, but brown and ivory were just the typical choices.

switches #218947 12/26/17 12:33 PM
G
I am old enough to remember when Brown and Ivory were pretty much all they had. I assumed it was just a manufacturing thing and people were used to the idea that this was all there was. I agree the brown plastic evolved from the original bakelite. I think the next color to come along was red, then orange but they were both industrial use items and very expensive. You were not going to see than at the hardware store or home store.
These days you can get about a dozen colors.

Greg Fretwell
switches #218948 12/26/17 07:14 PM
I agree with Greg that Brown & ivory were “it” back in the day. Red and IG Orange were commercial items, the red for emergency circuits in healthcare, the orange were isolated ground,

The color palette of decorator inspired choices started up in the late 70s, and expanded from there. Now, there are high end decorator configurations, naturally in decorator finishes. Faceplates with no visible screws, etc.

And yes, I also have been around for quite some time.

John
switches #218949 12/27/17 03:38 AM
N
Gray has been around for quite a while at least since the 1960's, trying to think of all the colors, brown, black, white, ivory, gray, blue, red, orange, and almond, which is pronounced where most of the worlds almonds are grown as "ammond". grin

switches #218954 12/30/17 07:39 PM
S
Leviton makes a rainbow of colors

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

One local supply house was giving out a 'color key ring' with all the choices

If all the ditzy interior decorators push these on mama pajama, i'll never get a trim out done......

~S~

switches #218955 12/30/17 10:18 PM
G
You best hope they keep making them. Imagine trying to find one of those avocado switches for a 4 switch bank after they are discontinued.

Greg Fretwell
switches #218956 12/31/17 03:56 PM
S
I didn't know about that line, they don't look quite like Decora devices...

I agree gray has been around awhile. I saw some gray cover plates at Habitat that had the grooves in them, I think they were Slater.

The Leviton Centura line was similar to Decora, but the switches had two square buttons instead of rocker switches and the receptacles had a horizontal line betwen the two outlets. Came in several colors including white and this was in the late 60s. Don't believe they were Decora size, but not certain. Decora came out in 1972, I believe.

Slater also had a decorator line, rocker switches, and the outlets looked like decorator but had three grooves in the face, the outer ones which lined up with the receptacle slots. These also came in lots of colors. I'm not sure these were Decora size either. This was at least in 1973, if not available sooner.

I guess the decorator sizing was standardized by 1971, as most GFCI outlets followed that layout, with P&S being the first.

I think it's best to stick with the basics for wiring devices, either standard toggles/outlets or Decorator. Those aren't going anywhere, but who knows about the other high-end lines. Remember Acenti? Pricey and good luck trying to find a replacement now. If you do you're going to pay and arm and a leg for one.

Last edited by switches; 12/31/17 03:59 PM.
switches #218957 12/31/17 05:57 PM
I just did a quick search on Google for Acenti, and it sure looks like it’s available, and don’t appear to be too pricey. I never came upon that device, but it’s another Leviton item.

As to the Avacado device, maybe the Avacado bath fixtures and ceramic tile will be making a comeback.

John
switches #218967 01/01/18 04:30 PM
G
I see a couple of colors in that group up there that have come and gone in the interior decorator world "Harvest Gold" is a blast from the past leisure suit days.
We had a pink bathroom here pretty much the exact color as the devices there.
The tile was the only part left by the time we got to this demo, the toilet and sink was gone.

[Linked Image from gfretwell.com]

Last edited by gfretwell; 01/01/18 04:31 PM.

Greg Fretwell
switches #218969 01/01/18 09:15 PM
Greg
The pink brings back memories also. Yes, Harvest gold along with Avacado were around, along with the black & white ‘subway tile job’ which is making a comeback.

I have to ask one of the plumbing inspectors if the ‘decorator’ color fixtures are around.

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard