ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 92 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#218554 06/23/17 12:07 AM
J
JimL Offline OP
Is there any definitive code definition on:

- a) How high the weatherhead and point-of-attachment needs to be above grade?
- b) Whether the weatherhead is required to be higher than the point-of-attachment?
- Whether the height might be to the bottom of the drip loop (which should be lower than a) or b), or the actual attachment point(s)?

Also, I am assuming the height would be measured as a direct vertical drop to the ground from any of those points but if it's some sort of "grade within xx feet of vertical drop", I'd need to know that.

I've done some searching and there's lot of discussion out there of all three points, and suggestions that it's power company specific, and that it's state specific, and that it's code specific, but I can't find any hard answers.

FWIW, A survey of local installs (Massachusetts) generally finds the weatherhead lower that the POA, but every thing is old here (old code) and everything new is two tall stories high. Overall height seems to be more of "close to the corner the most convenient corner of the house for the power company to string the wire to" but it's hard to tell.

Thanks,

J
JimL Offline OP
I should have added that this question relates to an existing (30 yr old) install that isn't quite right (no drip loop, hook badly installed).

Basic NEC regs are within Article 230
230.54 (c) answers location of service head in relation to drop.
230.9 is clearances from structure openings.
230.24 is clearances

Now, you may have to include ANY local requirements; utility co (POCO), local amendments to the NEC Rules, and IF any NEC items are amended (modified/omitted) by your State adoption of the NEC.

I am not aware has an equivalent of the 'Rehab' section of the NJ Uniform Construction Code is within the codes of your state. That said, service clearances are not within the 'Rehab' scope here.

John

Link Copied to Clipboard