ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Recent Posts
Where is Everyone?
by luckyshadow - 11/21/21 10:14 AM
It's been an interesting career
by The Watt Doctor - 11/19/21 09:56 AM
Well I am back to stay (nearly 6 years)
by The Watt Doctor - 11/19/21 09:17 AM
Motor Load Relationships Between Fans and Pumps
by The Watt Doctor - 11/18/21 09:24 AM
GFCI's pops in large numbers
by dsk - 11/05/21 06:45 AM
New in the Gallery:
240/208 to a house
240/208 to a house
by wa2ise, October 9
Now you know.
Now you know.
by Tom_Horne, September 7
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 28 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,283
Likes: 3
Relocated here from Photos

member jdscott2005

[Linked Image]

Hey guys, this is my first post so thanks in advance for your help.

I'm replacing a 100A service panel and it is on a 3ft wall that runs perpendicular to the exterior wall and this wall is lined up with the meter socket. The inspector said I will not need a disconnect if I am within 5 ft and that I should put the SE cable in pipe...

What type of "pipe" should be used for this 2/2/2/4 SE cable? Should I take my box down and make a hole in the side so I have a straight run? I am very close to that 5ft max the way I have it now running to the top of the box. I assume wire length inside the boxes are not counted toward that 5 feet?

Remind me of what size wire and ground rod I will need to add to this system please. The ground from panel to meter box is #4 aluminum

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,283
Likes: 3

I relocated your post here for better exposure.

The trade practice here is that the service feeder from the meter to the MOCP within a panel must be in a straight path; there is no NEC defined distance for unprotected conductors within a structure. Protection of SEU within "pipe" by the local AHJ is for physical protection of the cable. The diameter of the cable prevents maintaining the required depth from the face of the studs. "Pipe" could be EMT, IMC, or RGC to prevent physical damage.

I see from your profile that you are not an electrician, so you may want to find a local licensed electrician to do this job.

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,283
Likes: 3
So far, 95 views, and not a single comment, or response from the OP.

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,672
Likes: 7
One answer is easy. Run a short rigid nipple across that void with a slight down pitch so water can't intrude, punch a hole in the cabinet at the appropriate place and be sure you install a bonding bushing on the end. Then put some duct seal on the outboard end to exclude moisture bugs etc. We don't know how it terminates outside but he will need some kind of bushing there too.

Example of a bonding bushing
[Linked Image from]

Greg Fretwell
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 5,389
2/4 ser would usually indicate a feeder made off a meter/main....~S~

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,283
Likes: 3

Good catch. So it's SER, not SEU, perhaps a main outside. But, the OP says the inspector said no disconnect if he is within 5'.

OK, either way, physical protection is required, and I can't substantiate the "5'" even if it is SER.

Wonder what part of PA??


Link Copied to Clipboard

Tools for Electricians
Tools for Electricians

* * * * * * *

2020 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2020 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman


Member Spotlight
Shinnston, WV USA
Posts: 1,044
Joined: January 2001
Top Posters(30 Days)
Trumpy 5
dsk 3
Admin 3
Popular Topics(Views)
286,145 Are you busy
218,562 Re: Forum
204,780 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5