ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 412 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
JBD Offline
Originally Posted by Tesla
JBD...

I would think that having a 2-pole breaker hanging loose inside the Service panel was a Code violation.

It should be on the rails or completely removed and the conductors safetied off.

The dead front for the Service panel looks to be missing -- and I'd bet large that it does not have the appropriate KO fillers.

The weatherhead looks profoundly abused by the crew. Busting out NEMA components and then cobbling them back together violates their listing. It's not a listed product when you've hacked it to pieces -- literally -- and then fudged its re-assembly.

The fundamental integrity of the Service drop is shot. Eyeballing the riser drop for dielectric quality does not get 'er done. I would always presume that hidden damage to the insulation has risen far up the conductors -- as the heat starts from the inside out.

Since the conductors are always metal -- with a fantastic tendency to conduct heat, too -- I'm compelled to assume that the conductors got plenty toasty right up until they passed into free air. In sum, I'd deem the riser conductors as shot, the meter pan as shot, the weatherhead as shot, the meter as shot... I'd even worry about the bugs. The offending current was passing IN FRONT OF THE OCPD.

Who really knows how intense the peak arc was?

Putting damaged gear back into service means putting unlisted gear into service. Installing unlisted gear is an NEC no-no. No item retains its listing after suffering obvious significant damage.

Arc damage IS serious damage.... It's at the top of anyone's list. eek

The 'looted breakers' in the Service panel are suggestive of major malfunctions across the entire residence. It looks like the entire zone has been hacked to pieces.

The loadcenter breaker status is difficult to assess, as the video says that breakers were moved/removed do the the loss of the "A" phase.

Listed equipment is not a requirement for most of the NEC. Field modifications and repairs are common (e.g. stuck/frozen thread fasteners). Replacement of components into existing enclosures is a routine event. The AHJ is the one to pass judgment on the end result.

There is no doubt that the physical labor violated many safety safety codes and regulations. Until I see the final installation I cannot say how many NEC compliance issues exist. But, based on their use of electrical terms and tools, I am sure problems will be found.

My point is simply, based on the video the NEC is the wrong code to reach for first, Other than maybe article 100 definition of "qualified".

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
I just watched the whole thing and I am confused why they didn't just call FPL at the start since they could see the meter was toast.

Greg Fretwell
T
Tesla Offline OP
I'm with you Greg.

The SECOND you pulled the meter -- to stop further arc'ing -- it was time to call the Poco.

BTW, why remove C/Bs when you can just turn them off? Plainly, they didn't know what they were doing.

These clowns talk a big story... and then kill any professional credibility by doing stuff that no licensed contractor would begin to consider. eek

Everything about this travail makes one think that something naughty was going on... probably unlicensed contracting and zero building permits.

The debacle perhaps threatened their larger game... so they tried to make it go away. dunno

That's my guess. As to why they up-loaded this folly to the Web? Who can say? Maybe they were high at the time. ( of the up-load) Maybe this is the best work they've ever done. Maybe this is their idea of a promotional piece for cheap-skate property mis-management.

My pet peeve with cheap-skates is that they talk or con the young and foolish into taking great risks -- pitching the notion to the naive that such antics are pulled off successfully all of the time. The young kid/ adult ends up in the morgue or the hospital.

Any Poco is going to assign demerits to anyone associated with the above 'project.'

There is not one Poco in the nation that wants untrained civilians (and that's what these fellows are) messing around with Service conductors. It's a universal taboo.

(Any uninformed party trained by yet other uninformed/trained parties remain untrained, unprofessional, and at hazard.

Heck, you can't even use just any old j-man to train apprentices as it is. Teaching the craft is a separate skill in its own right.)

Tesla
I will add that PSE&G would call the local AHJ to report this 'repair'; after they cut the service drop at the pole!

John
G
I am not even sure why people have this irrational fear of pulling an electrical permit in Florida. It virtually never affects your taxes. The property appraiser is a separate agency anyway and they have very good ways of figuring out what you are doing, permit or not (aerial photos, and a biannual on site inspection among other things. A homeowner can even do the work themselves.
When I did my service upgrade, it was very easy and FPL was very cooperative. They arranged to come cut my drops right before lunch and by the time they got back from, I was ready to hook up again. Sweet and free. They even gave me the meter base and enclosure ahead of time so I could build the new service at my leisure before I called for the cut over.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
Here, the EC (or HO) does the disconnect and reconnect on service upgrades. (Overhead)

The BUD's all that is done is pull the meter.

The POCO does a crimp connection and re-seal the meter pan after inspections & cut-in-cards.

PSE&G supplies meter pans, JCP&L does not.

John
G
I guess we have it easy down here. They really went out of their way to keep me away from energized service conductors.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
It is said that Florida is where circus folk spend the winter- and these guys are clearly clowns. Worse yet, it appears that the 'master' is teaching his methods to the other 'apprentices.'

Breaking the seal is the first 'sin.' A violation of PoCo rules. I can't speak for others, but I don't cut a seal without PoCo permission - and they usually send a troubleman this way to do it. He'll also cut and tie-off the drop for me- and return promptly for the hook-up.

OK, so it's open. Now what? Well, the damage to the jaw and the meter is obvious. Again, it's time for an immediate call to the PoCo. Th troubleman will bring a new meter.

The mast looks like 2", and the meter pan looks like 150-A ... it's pretty clear to me that this (and the panel itself) are replacements for an older 60-amp service. So- why do the service conductors look like the original, cloth-covered, #4's? They're certainly not the size of aluminum wire you need for 150-amps. Those need to be replaced at this time. There's the main NEC violation.

Weatherheads are cheap, and there's no excuse for not replacing it. Had they simply CUT all three wires, they could have simply pulled the old one off intact.

I loved the "hot gloves." Even the lead guy did not appear to have real rubber liners; the outers can be anything. The other guys using only one glove, and manipulating the hot wires with a pair of fuse pullers .... huh?

I trim 'hot' PoCo feeds all the time, using an ordinary box cutter ... and REAL gloves. Of course, I'm usually on a ladder- something these guys didn't seem to have, either.

Wires are reconnected using PoCo-supplied parallel-groove connectors (PGC's) or crimp connectors. Splicing tape covered by vinyl tape is perfectly fine- but this crew seemed new to the practice.

I've never seen replacement meter pan parts sold; I'm surprised they didn't replace the entire guts, or even the entire box.

Yet, there's the condition of the entire panel ... it's pretty clear that this slumlord has been using marginal "contractors" for years. All I can say is that you get what you pay for.

There was such a crew that passed through Reno a few years back. I had quite a bit of work, following after this guy, replacing his hackwork.

I get testy when I hear about "2-hour service changes" or panel "swap outs." Right then I suspect that the ground rod has not been driven, that the service drop has not been replaced, that none of the other requirements of a service change have been dealt with.

T
We have to cut seals all the time. If a customer is having electrical issues we are there to fix it. PoCo would come kill power to the house and tell the homeowner they need to hire a licensed electrician.

Don't really see a problem with working on it live either. I would of done the basic same thing, but replaced the PVC with just a taped blue wire nut. Probably no gloves and definitely no taping on the utility knife.

Call PoCo and get the damaged meter replaced.

Around here we are responsible for everything except the drop coming from the pole.

Now changing out a complete meter can on a live under ground feed, that gets the nerves going.

Shake n Bake
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard