Perhaps the implication is that there's nothing of consequence between New Jersey and Wisconsin?? I wonder how the fire worked its way past Lake Michigan. :p
It's a good article regardless and well worth reading.
The thing I found interesting is the Le Farge fire department drained the municipal water system and had to truck in water from a lake. I did not realize a municipal water system was that fragile
I did some work at a hospital that was right on the border betwene the 2 towns that shared it and was hooked up to both water mains. They never tested the fire pump at full output for more than a few minutes because it would actually suck the water out of the mains so fast that both towns would end up with a 'boil order' due to the lowered pressure in the mains. I never figured out how they managed to get fire insurance without someone making them put in a water tower...