I feel for the lost of the family. I do have to ask what was it that shocked the family and does it require GFI protection by code or spec?. Granted I'm no wiz with Artice 680 but I don't think everything associated with a pool is require to be GFCI protected. Negligent Homicide requires the accused acted recklessly that resulted in a death.
I do hope this goes top trial, and all the facts are brought out.
I weary of employers hiring well-meaning folks for low wages, giving them little (or no) training, then calling them "electricians." Just because a guy changes light bulbs doesn't make him an electrician.
I weary of employers who can't be bothered to see that their crews receive real, transferable training. They all seem to want qualified help- yet they won't participate in apprenticeship programs.
I weary of employers saying 'that's too much' when someone asks for appropriate wages. Nope- they seem to think you have a duty to subsidize them, that skilled tradesmen are nothing but retarded chimps with tool belts.
I weary of employers who expect to spend NOTHING on materials, who expect you to scavenge or 'make do.'
Especially, I weary of employers who tell the conscientious employee 'my way or the highway' as they order the guy to hack something together. We don't need no stinking NEC!
It was a pool light, it was not GFCI protected and the electricians, or handy men had worked on the light earlier in the day. Here, as everywhere, you have some skilled and some out right dangerous persons doing work. May times the customer is unaware of who he hires. I know 2 well respected licensed companies here that do dreadful work. How they pass inspections I do not know. One did a large supermarket near this Hotel. THHN wire strung to supply coolers in the lift out ceiling (not in pipe) Covers missing from load centers. Hundreds of 1900 boxes no covers. It passed final. I was there after it opened.(remodel) most was still the same, you just could not see it without a tall ladder and lifting the tiles.
Update, they were electricians working for a electrical contractor. The charge (from the information from the news for what it is worth) is that they failed to install a required protective device (GFCI) that would have prevented the electrocution.
Hotel is 40 years old. In 1982 there was a fire there that killed 10 people. The alarms went off and the management turned them off without checking for fire. The lawyers almost beat the fire department.