ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
There are very few outages here in SoCal, and even fewer that last any extended period.

Most people that own generators here do so purely for convenience instead of necessity.

The individual States that have lots of generators could amend their State Electrical Codes to require a transfer switch, but I don't think it has any business in the NEC.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

I have to agree with Electure. If any one wants a transfer switch, let it be a design issue, NOT code. The NJ version of the NEC has a minimal amount of amendments, and I hope it will stay that way!

Reno, you are about right with the $200+ Monster cables.

John
H
Reno,

You talk about sheds and decks under POCO wires. Well in some of the northern cities here in NJ the POCO actually run their lines through peoples back yards. I think years ago when this new fangled thing called electricity came through the people didn't want to see the power poles. So the POCO just ran them all through the back yard. That is going to be a big mess no a days to fix and repair problems with the power lines.

Backyard poles were common in South Orange & a lot of Short Hills/Millburn. No bucket access, either a ladder or climb, that is the choices.

Pole transformer replacement was a block & tackle setup, I saw only once in South Orange.

John
Here in Levittown/Fairless Hills if (when) the transformers or anything the poco owns needs maintained it takes a fight, 10 lawsuits and a bulldozer to clear all of the illegal sheds, pools and fences out of the way. Was cool though after Sandy some of the guys from down south brought a bucket truck that could reach over a house from the street (70x100 lot) and replace the pole and transformer.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
H
John,

I worked in South Orange and Milburn too. I was thinking more of nearer the city like, Secaucus, Richfield, Montclair, etc. It has been a long time since I was in those areas. Now that I am an AHJ, I almost never get out of my 4 towns. Unless I have to go and cover for someone.

Cat Servant
I mentioned the After-Christmas power outages we had. Since then, I've learned a few things.

Mainly, I've learned that nearly all my co-workers have the larger portable generators. They assert they had a local electrician involved. They 'tie in' by simply back-feeding a breaker. Their "interlock" is strictly procedural: they manually shut off the main, then flip on the breaker. They 'remember' not to run the clothes dryer or electric range while using the genny. They watch the streetlights to see if the power has been restored.

Nearly all my co-workers not using any sort of transfer switch or mechanical interlock.

S
thanks Reno....now i don't feel like such an outlaw..~S~

S
I certainly understand the concern about back feeding. At the same time, it just adds more costs to construction and its another attempt to "idiot proof" an electrical systems from idiots. It should be a loco enforcement, not a code issue. It is not the premiss of the code. If installed correctly and used correctly, there should be no issue. It's not a design manual. Just the minimal safety requirements. I may be delusional by I still believe in that, even after the AFCI debacle...

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
H
Around here the local POCO boys would not tie you back into their system if they heard a genny running. They would make you turn if off before they re-connected you.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard