ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 105 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
spyder, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that be asking for trouble?

If one would make the "not-to-exceed" value equal to the "bid price", then go with a bid.

Seems to me, you're putting a "ceiling" price on something, but no "bottom" price, atleast with a bid, there is only one price.

Make sense?

Or am I just missing soemthing fundamental again?

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
S
My point: about the not to "exceed" price gives them a high ballpark figure. They are happy because they have a number. I see your point about it not being excatly fundamental.

S
Virgil,

In my former life of a facility manager I did a lot of NTE. That would give you a budget figure to go with, and then if the price came in lower you looked good. But then again I also did job walks and there were far fewer questions than what NC is looking at.

It seems to me that you would bid the job as a complete new re-wire with some cost in for removing the old stuff. Would you accept the liability of leaving in some of the old wiring?

Lawyer: Sparkync, why did my clients house burn down again when our experts have found that there was obiously had some heat stress on this wire.

Sparkync: Looked good to me.

Judge: Judgement for the plantiff.

Unfortunately that is how it is today.

Scot

T
Hmmmm......

Fire in kitchen of 5000sq.ft 1 story.Rewire whole house.Sounds lucrative but Ins.Co.aint gonna go for it.

Donnie
S
Thanks again for the input.. Had to give the bid tonight though [Linked Image] If prices around here were as good as some of you all's places I might could have bid higher, but I'm a little "bid scared". I'm bidding this burnt out cheaper than Virgil did his new house [Linked Image] kinda scary... but I gotta put food on the table and I figure I'll make better than I would at "Burger King" or "MacDonalds". I put the bid in at $8500.00 I know.......to cheap.. but I gotta get my foot in the door with this contractor if possible, he does high volume of work. $$$$$'s down the road. And I wish I had time to ask the inspectors, but again I'm pushed to make a decision. Decisions, Decisions, way of life [Linked Image] Thanks.... Steve.. Hope if I get the job, I don't get to many surprises. If I do hope I learn enough to make up on the next one [Linked Image]

L
LK Offline
Sparkync Gramps has this correct "T&M and Don't depend." With fires, damage can jump rooms or floors.
LK

SparkyNC:
1st, Good Luck
Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
I know 1st hand what yaou mean about putting food on the table. Yeah, it was a while ago, but it's something you don't forget.

If it gets you connected with a GC, then it may be worth it.

Good Luck
John

John
sparkync,

Still don't have any papers signed on that one, so I may not have it.

The going rate for other GCs is about 1/3 to 1/2 of what I bid on that one job.

I've done 3000 sq ft houses with finished basements and including phone and tv for less than $6000 before.

Not bragging.

Besides, the one good month I had last year was for the first Greenbrier cottage I wired.

Most of the money went to my sub and to my supplier. I ended up with about $2K left over.

My net profit for the year (including my pay) was less than $12K, so don't go wishing you were in my shoes!

Seriously considering closing shop. Joe Musser quit his biz and is now working for the only competition at the Greenbrier for $12 per hour. Yes, he's a master and contractor. Not a typo. $12 per hour. I pay my no-experience helper $10 and most of you think it's too low.

Got turned down on a truck loan, so I don't have much faith in my business any more. My truck won't pass inspection without serious bodywork and a new windshield and I've got to the end of the month to repair or replace the truck.

Still don't have my helper legal. Don't have the $1600 for a wage bond and I have to have that before I can pay comp, withholdings, SSI, etc.

My poor helper has had to listen to me b*tch all day long too.

It seems pretty futile now. Sorry to rant again.

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 01-22-2003).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
G
sparky66wv.......dont give it up yet... [Linked Image].....maybe branch out a little....if it gets really bad down there...bring your truck and helper to columbus....i got more work than i can handle for the next few months.... [Linked Image]......kiss momma "goodbye" for 60-90 days...and come help me.....i got 2 "prevailing wage" jobs that i need a journeyman on, that i cant start....because of manpower.....

think about it
gramps

T
sparky66wv:

I hear you...

You're considering getting out and I'm trying to get in.

I was in the web development area and have been out of work since May. (With a wife and two toddlers plus a new mortgage. Boy, was I glad to hear that the Federal benefits were extended or I'd really be in trouble!)

I have a strong interest in the trade, and the local Sunday paper want-ads here (Northern NJ) have at least 4 or 5 ads for experienced electricians.

The ones I've spoken with are offering $8-$10/hour for an inexperienced helper (and I understand...they would have to slow down to train me, etc.)

The union apprenticeship program takes a while to get in, and I'm told the list is long. (The wait is worth it, however.)

So, Gramps sounds like he has an offer worth considering very seriously. I imagine it would be uncomfortable to pick up and leave for a while, but if you are not tied down to family, it sure would be worth it.

Maybe you can convert your truck's engine into a generator? [Linked Image]

NOTE: I just saw Mr. Tedesco's message relative to deletion of posts that are not on topic. I'll send this one via private e-mail. The board doesn't allow me to delete the post.

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 01-22-2003).]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard