ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 262 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JoeyD Offline OP
I have an odd request from a building inspector in MA. I did a small pizza resturaunt in Hudson MA and they did not have an stamped set of electrical drawings, I had a layout for equipment and lights and thats how it got done. I had my final inspection no problems.
The building inspector is wanting me to fill out an affidavit stating my work was done to code. He said it's required by 780CMR section 107.6.3 of the building code.
Anyu concerns in doing this? He will not sign the building card for the owner until i do this.

W
I was under the impression that an inspector was supposed to INSPECT the finished job and tell you if it is up to code or not! Guess I have been doing it wrong all this time.

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
G
Plans I have seen always had an initialed box with the code cycle that they were compliant with and appropriate boiler plate language. I suppose that is what the guy is looking for.

The main time it is important is if the code changed from approval until final. Most places only require compliance to the code cycle permitted.

Greg Fretwell
J
JoeyD Offline OP
I don't want to hold the job up but I am hesitant to sign it having never had to do it in my career it seems odd.

Approved plans (by Twp after Plan Review) must be on the jobsite at all times when inspections are being performed.

As Greg said, there is a stamp placed on the plans that the various disciplines (Elec/Plum/Bldg/Fire) initial & date upon Plan Review for code compliance.

Approved plans not being on site for reference by any of the inspectors results in 'no inspection being performed' (Red Tag)

John
Cat Servant
It sounds like the cart got put before the horse here.

What work did you do? What was inspected? What was the permit for?

It seems reasonable that there be, somewhere, some paperwork that answers these questions.

No 'stamped' plans? No problem. Along with the EC license comes your authority to make your own sketches and sign off on them. These are usually included when you apply for the permit.

You can also include 'cut sheets,' information regarding specific appliances and their loads.

G
I would just write him a letter saying that "to the best of my knowledge <the project> was built compliant to the 20xx code" and sign it.

That is implied by your being the contractor of record on the permit anyway so I do not see any additional legal issue.

Greg Fretwell
H
Greg,

We sometimes have EC's do that when there is a completed basement that never had any inspections done at all. We tell the EC to go through the basement and do a NON Destructive search of all the wiring. Look for connectors, proper wiring, etc. and then write a short letter stating that FROM What I see doing the non destructive search, every thing looks like it meets the latest NEC. This way it kind of protects them and us from future problems.

JoeyD:
Rereading your OP, I misunderstood your issue.

Our building inspectors would not ask an EC for anything, that is the responsibility of the electrical inspectors. If anything, my inspector (elec) may ask for a copy of your layout, or I may call you for the layout before I approve the permit for release.

Be that as it may, either way, your install would be inspected for code compliance. The permit app. would be referenced for quantities and items installed.

John
J
JoeyD Offline OP
Originally Posted by HotLine1
JoeyD:
Rereading your OP, I misunderstood your issue.

Our building inspectors would not ask an EC for anything, that is the responsibility of the electrical inspectors. If anything, my inspector (elec) may ask for a copy of your layout, or I may call you for the layout before I approve the permit for release.

Be that as it may, either way, your install would be inspected for code compliance. The permit app. would be referenced for quantities and items installed.

The only plans on the job were basic layout, walls, rooms and the little structure work that needed to be done and it was stamped.
My inspection went smooth enough, I brought him in there before I started walked the whole job talked layout, code issue's and that was it. He inspected it when i was done no problem.
This came up a couple weeks after my inspection when the building inspector was doing his final.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard