ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
LarryC Offline OP
Does anyone know of a off the shelf breakout assembly to connect a power analyzer to? I need to safely measure electical parameters for a system that is plugged into a NEMA 5-20 receptacle.

Before I go and build a couple of nice little breakout boxes, I figured why re-invent the wheel. I am looking for something I can plug inline and connect the power analyzer to it.

I am using the IEC 320 high and standard power connectors.

Thanks.

G
If this is a duplex receptacle, what is in the other side? You might just need a test cord with a cap on it.

Greg Fretwell
L
LarryC Offline OP
I am looking for a prebuilt "box" that has male and female IEC 320 connectors, an insulated wire to clamp the current probe onto, and finger safe shrouded female banana jacks to connect the voltage leads.

I will be making multiple measurements inside the system under test, and I did not want to mess around with a hacked up line cord.

I can roll my own box, but I figured if someone else already built one, why reinvent the wheel.

G
I made up my own C13/14 cable for my Dranitz because I never saw a commercial one but that was a while ago. I will wait to see if Scott or anyone has seen one.

Greg Fretwell
Broom Pusher and
I have seen / used several of these, however they all had NEMA Devices; Locking types being the most common
(i.e.: L5-20 through L22-30).

IMO, there _SHOULD_ be similar Test Equipment with IEC 320 Panel Mounted Devices.

If nothing is available in the IEC Panel Mount Schemes (NEMA only), you could makeup Two Gender-Bender type Patch Cords, each with IEC-to-NEMA Devices:
(1) IEC Plug - NEMA Receptacle
(1) NEMA Plug - IEC Receptacle

Sorry for not having any helpful information, but I will ask around.

-- Scott (EE)

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
L
LarryC Offline OP
I am looking at making up a small box with male / female cord whips, EZ Hook 9408 (dual shrouded banana jacks), and a insulated wire for the current clamp.

Does anyone have a specific P/N for an insulated handle looking thing to hook the amp clamp onto?

G
A few inches of Carflex with right angle connectors?

Greg Fretwell
L
LarryC Offline OP
Gfretwell: Neat idea.

Scott35: Do you have Manufacturers and P/Ns for the adapters you have used? Perhaps I can buy one of those and modify it for my needs.

Broom Pusher and
Larry,

Sorry, but I do not have any Manufacturers to quote.

I will poke around the Net (Google) and let you know what I find.

-- Scott (EE)

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
L
LarryC Offline OP
Thanks. The project is heating back up.

I am seriously considering using a boxed receptacle inline with a "de-jacketed" power cable to safely provide a voltage measuring point along with the access for the current clamp. I'll use a chopped line cord to connect the voltage leads.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard