ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#205244 02/07/12 01:02 AM
S
Well guys, I did my part to introduce some youth to the joys of electricity. I am the den leader for my 8 year old son's cub scout den. We have about 15 third graders in the group. Last week and tonight we discussed electricity. Last week they all built simple beakman motors with AA batteries, paper clips and phone wire. Tonight we wired doorbells and built electromagnets with D batteries, steel rods and wire. The boys really enjoyed it. You never know, maybe a future sparky in the group.

G
Well done on all counts! Firstly I sincerely believe that the scout movement is a great character building experience for youngsters. Both my sons enroled as cubs, and now as adults retain an excellent circle of friends as well as continued involvement in the organisation.
Secondly, yes that sort of thing does engender a lasting interest. I myself started messing around with batteries at a young age, encouraged by my Dad, and went on to an engineering career.

Yes, I second the well done on all counts.

John
M
Yes schenimenn it is always good to introduce kids to electrical technology. I got hooked that way in 1982.Now they get taught 70E as well.

J
It is nice to explore them about electricity as young as they are so that we can have the best future electricians soon...:D

Joshuas:
Hey! Welcome to ECN from one of the 'Jersey Guys'!!
Jump in anytime you care.

John
Eric,
That is where it's at, mate.
Big thumbs up to you for helping the cause. thumbs

I have to say (I've probably said this many times here before, too), had it not been for my own father mucking around with valve (tube) TV's and radios back in the 70's, my career choice may have been a LOT different to what it is now.
Although, I did always have a hankering to be a chimney sweep at one time. grin

One other thing,
I've given talks to the local Scout units here (one of the Area Scout Leaders is a mate of mine) on the basics of electrical safety and you'd be surprised how many kids are really into this and take on board what you are saying, provided you don't "talk down" to your audience.

What is more, is they are taking this new-found knowledge home and pulling their parents up on dodgy cords and all sorts of other things. grin
This is a win-win situation, not only for electrical safety people, but for the parents that are made aware of a potentially dangerous part of their house.

It's all good. wink

Last edited by Trumpy; 04/06/12 12:35 AM. Reason: Typo

Link Copied to Clipboard