ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 273 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Obsaleet #202787 08/27/11 05:56 PM
G
My wife was talking to the girl who she brought up in the house business back in the happy times. She is working for a developer and it seems that the permit people in the Orlando area are actually trying to slow down the permit process.
The real estate people who control the county council think they need to limit new construction until inventory has worked itself down. That is probably great on a macro economic basis but it is tough if you are a builder with a lot of "sold and un-built". Of course it is also tough on the trades who would like the work.

The flip side is, real estate taxes are based on home prices and excess inventory drives down those prices.

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #202789 08/27/11 07:18 PM
S
Originally Posted by gfretwell
My wife was talking to the girl who she brought up in the house business back in the happy times. She is working for a developer and it seems that the permit people in the Orlando area are actually trying to slow down the permit process.
The real estate people who control the county council think they need to limit new construction until inventory has worked itself down. That is probably great on a macro economic basis but it is tough if you are a builder with a lot of "sold and un-built". Of course it is also tough on the trades who would like the work.

The flip side is, real estate taxes are based on home prices and excess inventory drives down those prices.

Yup , welp , i'm on a huge ( i mean acres, people use cell phones to find each other) job lauded as Springfiled Vermonts economic salvation Greg

And you know, i was nervous walking into it all, spent considerable time trying to cross my T's, dot my I's etc

Of course, all the local politicians have made it thier mecca to stump about how great it all is, and take credit

But what's also happening is, almost every imaginable code/osha/life safety/employment/permit violation you could think of

And this is right on down the street from the state offices, in fact they pass by it every morning on their way in /out

I have never been involved in situational ethics of this magnitude , where everyone of authority 'looks the other way'

nor do i approve of any given offical process bowing down to politics

Obsaleet #202807 08/28/11 07:17 PM
~s~:

"But what's also happening is, almost every imaginable code/osha/life safety/employment/permit violation you could think of

And this is right on down the street from the state offices, in fact they pass by it every morning on their way in /out

I have never been involved in situational ethics of this magnitude , where everyone of authority 'looks the other way'"

Without going into any political arena, or using choice words, I have to say a situation like that would not happen. 'Looking the other way' is not tolerated, by or for anyone, politically connected, politician, or your everyday Joe.

You added as the closing line:
"nor do i approve of any given offical process bowing down to politics"

BRAVO to you!!!

John
HotLine1 #202811 08/28/11 07:35 PM
S
thanx HotOne, i'm glad you don't think me niave....~S~

Obsaleet #202813 08/28/11 07:37 PM
Never crossed my mind ~s~!

John
Obsaleet #202911 09/01/11 08:08 PM
H
Sorry I am late again, I was off line thanks to that hurricane that passed through NJ. I was without power for 5 days. If someone came up to my house and didn't present the right credentials, or even if I didn't think the credentials looked correct, I would ask them to leave and have their office call me. Then after they called me, I would call the office (that they said they were with) to confirm that.)

Not for nothing, I am not a scarey looking person, but not many people ask me to see my ID when I go in a house for inspection. They all seem to trust me. Granted, I would hope that they or the contractor told them that I would be coming in for an inspection. Plus, I do not have a problem with any HO looking over my shoulders and asking questions.

In fact 1 time I went out for an inspection of a BA/FA system and the HO asked my ,"What exactly are you looking for?" I think he wanted to know what his permit fee was going to get him. So I explained how I was looking at the work that the alarm installer did, if he grounded his alarm panel, marked the breaker for the alarm circuit, etc. As I was talking to him, I also gave him a red sticker because the alarm guy took out a knockout and never used a bushing or connector to bush the hole, plus he never grounded the panel. So as I was walking out and giving him the red sticker, I said, "This is what I get paid to do. To make sure that the installer did your installation correctly." He couldn't thank me enough. Plus he was happy to see me when I went back to redo the final inspection. Which passed.

Obsaleet #202921 09/01/11 10:07 PM
G
The state gave me an ID card that is punched for a clip and I wore it whenever I was working.

Greg Fretwell
Obsaleet #202925 09/01/11 11:04 PM
H
Greg,

Actually, I do have 4 different ID cards issued by each town. It is just a pain to wear them all, but I do carry them in my clip board at all times.

Obsaleet #202933 09/02/11 12:52 AM
G
You would look like those guys who walk around the pentagon who need a separate ID badge for every room they go in. I have seen some of those guys with 10 or more, usually on chains around their neck.

Greg Fretwell
Obsaleet #202939 09/02/11 10:57 AM
H
Greg,

By the end of the day, my back would be out from carrying too many ID cards. smile I also carry those metal clipboards that can hold stuff. In there is a ruler, screwdriver and mirror. How many times is the specs on an HVAC in the back of the unit. Plus my red and white stickers, and I also have a "Violations" list. This is just a long piece of paper, that states time, date, permit #, type of inspection, address and a blank lines to fill in. I use this when I have more than 3-4 items to be corrected. Then all I do is write it up once, and give the HO/EC the copy of the list. I staple the original to the inspection card and it goes back into the file.

Last edited by harold endean; 09/02/11 10:58 AM.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard