ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
E

E
I swear that it looks as if they spent more time doing it wrong than it would have taken to do it right. What a mess!

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
M
Hey the door goes up and down don't it? :-{

T
Originally Posted by EV607797
I swear that it looks as if they spent more time doing it wrong than it would have taken to do it right. What a mess!

I beg to differ!
I'm pretty sure tacking NM to the fence was much faster than digging for UF or even pulling a proper overhead connection, and making flying splices tp plugs certainly saves on materials - no box needed, no receptacle, just an old plug, perhaps cut off some surplus cord or broken piece of electronics and some cheap tape. And wrapping wires around plug pins (which is what the splice in the garage looks like to me, I think you can see the outline of a NEMA 5-15 plug under that tape) is probably faster than nailing up a box and wiring a receptacle too.

So, yes, it's a terrible and scary hack job, but it probably was a lot faster and cheaper than doing it right.

BTW, our garden shed was wired by running an extension cord out between two courses of roof tiles, down the roof, along the fence (blocking the gate) and through a hole in the wall of the shed... at first we didn't even notice that because the whole run was overgrown with ivy.

S
you could be a redneck if....

~S~

G
Nahh A real redneck would have run the RX all the way and stuck the stripped conductors into the receptacle. There would be no surge strip and the splice (between both G/D cords and the RX) would be wrapped with "camo" duct tape.
That was a city boy.

Greg Fretwell
Wonder what the voltage drop on this is?

Ob

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
Curious that a fairly new-looking garage wouldn't have electrical service... I'll bet the permit chain on that one is impervious. I'm assuming that this guy didn't make an offer on the house.

H
All I can say is OMG!

S
Originally Posted by gfretwell
Nahh A real redneck would have run the RX all the way and stuck the stripped conductors into the receptacle. There would be no surge strip and the splice (between both G/D cords and the RX) would be wrapped with "camo" duct tape.
That was a city boy.

lol Greg

but he's gotpotential!........(bad electrical pun intended)

Just did up a similar job, insurance company looked at this building full of similar hanging spaghetti , and demanded it all properly secured

i had a minor bout of if's, and's & butts about how NONE of it is right in the first place, to no avail....

seems i'm always a few steps behind this guy here>

[Linked Image from 2.bp.blogspot.com]

~S~

Link Copied to Clipboard