Police are investigating after a 38-year-old man was electrocuted while camping in Eastern Bay of Plenty yesterday.
The father of three was found dead along Waiotahi Valley Road in Opotiki, 60km south-east of Whakatane, about 8am.
He was thought to have been using a lamp outside in wet weather with poorly insulated electrical cords.
While the "article" makes no mention of wether the cords were supplied by an RCD, one would tend to think not.
I remember back in the late 70's-early 80's there was a concerted advertisement on TV here about caravans and using electricity in them.
Although this guy might even have been camping in a tent on a "supplied" lot, however, I'm pretty sure that any supply he would have got would have been RCD-protected, unless it was old and decrepit.
Using 230V outdoors without an RCD unit, is just stupidity at it's worst.