ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 183 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#198529 01/26/11 01:24 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Police are investigating after a 38-year-old man was electrocuted while camping in Eastern Bay of Plenty yesterday.

The father of three was found dead along Waiotahi Valley Road in Opotiki, 60km south-east of Whakatane, about 8am.

He was thought to have been using a lamp outside in wet weather with poorly insulated electrical cords.

While the "article" makes no mention of wether the cords were supplied by an RCD, one would tend to think not.
I remember back in the late 70's-early 80's there was a concerted advertisement on TV here about caravans and using electricity in them.
Although this guy might even have been camping in a tent on a "supplied" lot, however, I'm pretty sure that any supply he would have got would have been RCD-protected, unless it was old and decrepit.
Using 230V outdoors without an RCD unit, is just stupidity at it's worst.

F
G'day Mike.,

How long did your regulations did enforce to use the RCD on caravans ?

I know it pretty nutty to see campground and not see a RCD protection that sorta a nutty wish and unforetally I know in France we have few issue as well some were wired for 120 volts crazy but normally 240 volts but mantory RCD no extempts.

As far for USA side the 120 volt 15 or 20 amp circuit is mantory RCD protected however 30a 120 volts circuit 85 to 90% do not have RCD protection at the moment unless the code will change to add a RCD breaker or inline RCD device for it.

As far for 50 amp 120/240 volts single phase caravan set up there is none of RCD there but there is RCD breakers inside the Caravans some case RCD recetpales.,,

Merci.
Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Trumpy Offline OP
Gidday Marc,
The earliest reference I can find to RCD's with respect to caravans, is in the amendments to the 1976 Electrical Wiring Regulations in 1992, when Electrical Code of Practice #1 (Electrical Installations- Caravans and Caravan Parks) was released.

However, the more I think about this accident, the more I tend to think that this guy was not at a caravan park and was merely parked up on the side of the road and using a generator, which by rights, would have had no RCD protection.
And the fact that extension cords (apart from the main cord that connects the caravan to say a park connection box) are outside of the scope of any Electrical Warrant of Fitness inspection, makes me think doubly so about the generator use.

Link Copied to Clipboard