Just gave a quick read; I concur with Ghost. Read is 201.8 (A) thru (C) which basically had also had changes, but no exception for the vending machine.
Thanks. I hope my state kicks this requirement to the curb.
I'm not sure how this new requirement actually solves any real issues, as it seems you could put the GFCI protective device somewhere you need to take an elevator 3 floors up, then walk 5 corridors back to get to and still meet the definition of readily accessible.
I’m wondering if next they are going to make it required to be within sight.
Kjay: That's going to be a hot discussion at the CEU code change seminars! I'm doing one Tues on new 110.24, as there were a lot of guys interested in AIC/SCA calculations.
This is just going to be SO much fun when you need to install a GFCI for the vending machine.
I guess it's going to depend on whether your AHJ considers cord and plug connected vending machine equipment, either fastened in place or not, as an obstacle.
The rule only applies to the GFCI protection that is required by 210.8. The vending machine GFCI protection is not required by the rules i n 210.8 so that GFCI protection is not required to be in a readily accessible location.
John, That would be a correct statement. As the code expands the locations where GFCI protection is required we will get to the point where the rule for vending machines can be deleted.