ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 92 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#191737 01/10/10 03:59 PM
J
JValdes Offline OP
My daughters laptop would not connect to the Internet. I have it here and plugged it into the router directly. I can only open IE, and IE only. I have deleted Firefox from the control panel and reinstalled x 3. Even tried the new 3.6 version of Firefox. Still will not open. I got it to open a couple times and when I went back to open it again, it would do nothing. I set it as the default browser with IE capability. Any ideas. This thing is a mess. It has so much junk downloaded on it. I am starting to think a reinstall of the OS may be in order?

JValdes #191738 01/10/10 05:07 PM
J
JValdes Offline OP
Now I cannot connect to either browser. Is there a way to connect directly without using IE or Firefox? I did a system restore last.

JValdes #191739 01/10/10 05:47 PM
G
Is the enternet adapter working? When you say "system restore" are you reloading the system or just going back to a restore point?
Sometimes it is easiest to just remove and reinstall the network adapter. That will reload all the network software. Just be sure you have the driver disk and maybe a windoze disk (fer sure on W98)

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #191740 01/10/10 06:12 PM
J
JValdes Offline OP
Thats the problem. I have no documentation for the PC, and she is not here. I was using IE and firefox last night and went to bed figuring I had it fixed. Today FF would not load, but IE would. I did a system restore from a restore point so I would not mess anything up. Now I cannot get either browser to work. The router says its online. I have it connected with an ethernet cable.

I just checked device manager and the network adapter is operating properly. I have the option to uninstall it, but I have no back up. Will it allow me to reinstall from the PC software?

I have not figured out how to crack into my wireless network. That is why it is plugged in. She never plugs into a network. If I can get it to work on my wireless network, this would prove the adaptor is good? Right?
I am here and appreciate your help....John

Ps.....It Win Vista

Last edited by JValdes; 01/10/10 06:24 PM.
JValdes #191741 01/10/10 06:59 PM
G
From what I have seen XP does maintain the driver database on the C: drive. I assume that is still true in Vista.

You say it doesn't load, do you mean it loads and fails to connect? You can go into tools/options/main and set "what FF does on startup" to blank to answer that question.

I am guessing you mean it won't connect. You could turn on file sharing and share a file. Then see if it is available on another PC. That will test the adapter. A shared printer would do the same thing. Usually it is easier to get an internet connection going.

Have you tried to run the troubleshooter? That may give you the option to repair the connection.

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #191750 01/10/10 11:41 PM
W
Like Greg said, is it loading the browser and just not connecting or does the browser fail to load? If it loads the browser, is the router supplying it with an IP address? Make sure you do not have a bad Ethernet cable. Look under network connections and status, look at your ip address. Should start with 192,172 or 10 if not that's the problem. Push the Renew button (in your network connections page) make sure it gets an IP address.

WESTUPLACE #191754 01/11/10 06:20 AM
John,
Have you tried re-booting your router?
That can often help.
Pull the plug from the wall, wait 10 seconds, plug it back in, it will then look for everything in it's area.

Trumpy #191755 01/11/10 06:28 AM
Linksys routers invariably use 192.---.--- as a default IP address, using a 1 after that string will often get you into that router.
PM me if you have problems John, I'm not about to post that sort of stuff out on the board here.

Last edited by Trumpy; 01/11/10 06:29 AM. Reason: Edited IP string
Trumpy #191766 01/11/10 06:39 PM
J
JValdes Offline OP
Thanks everyone. Heres the scoop. I have everything working fine, including the wireless connection to the laptop. My router was new and all I had to do was go in and set the security.
The problem lies in the Firefox browser. Or Firefox profiles? IE opens and is functional. Email ect....anything requiring INTERNET access operates fine.
When opening Firefox it just sits there and does nothing. Every time I tried to uninstall it, it would not uninstall from control panel. (the normal way) I finally went directly into c:drive/program files and manually removed it. Then reinstalled it (it still did not work) and found a uninstall feature in program files. So following the uninstall function, Mozilla Firefox no longer exists on the PC. I have tried everything that Mozilla's web site support has explained to me. I have my desktop PC to get the help/answers from Mozilla and then I use them on the laptop. But I cannot resolve Firefox.

We both prefer Firefox. I am going to see if she will allow me to do a mirror restore. Like I said, this thing is loaded with programs. Like she downloaded everything available. I am certain this will correct any problem she has? I hope. Now we must find the documentation!!!!!!!

I appreciate any feedback as usual.....John

Link Copied to Clipboard