ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
CDS #191629 01/05/10 07:50 PM
M
Thanks for the info, the power co is coming back to look at the pole connections.
Forgive me what is a logger I have never heard that term.
Mike

dukes
CDS Offline
Maybe not the correct term , you hook it to the lines for say 24 hours and it gives you a line graph of the voltage over time .

CDS #191633 01/05/10 08:27 PM
G
The Dranitz I have uses a set point for spikes and sags, logging anything that exceeds that point.

Greg Fretwell
G
If this is a regular occurrence, you might do as well with a simple analog meter. It is really hard to do much with a digital meter unless it will save the low point. Even then you don't know if that was just a spike or a real sag. The analog meter is far more visual.

Greg Fretwell
Originally Posted by gfretwell
If this is a regular occurrence, you might do as well with a simple analog meter. It is really hard to do much with a digital meter unless it will save the low point. Even then you don't know if that was just a spike or a real sag. The analog meter is far more visual.

I agree Greg,
I have an elderly analouge meter here that has the facility to set the needle at centre scale and it has +/- values printed on the scale. wink
In some cases, I actually prefer the analogue meter to a digital one, especially if the readings are all over the place or changing to any great degree.

Having said all that I also own a data logger, it's handy to be able to leave the thing behind (behind the panel dead-front, of course) and go and get it say two days later and see what it has recorded.
It's told me a few interesting stories to date.

Trumpy #191637 01/05/10 09:16 PM
G
When I first got my Dranitz I set it up at what I thought was a reasonable level in my office on Friday and came back the next Monday to see how I was doing. It had run out of paper.

Greg Fretwell
Originally Posted by gfretwell
When I first got my Dranitz I set it up at what I thought was a reasonable level in my office on Friday and came back the next Monday to see how I was doing. It had run out of paper.

Blast!!, you would say. grin

Trumpy #191639 01/05/10 09:50 PM
Greg said...
"It had run out of paper"

That's one of the reasons I bought a digital Amprobe Digimatic
I had the analog Amprobe chart recorders also, and remembering to have someone replace the chart roll was a pain.

Dranetz was a tool the computer guys used to love!

John
wa2ise #191664 01/06/10 07:58 PM
M
Hi all
Power co came, said they checked all connections at trans. pole. Customer still has blinking lights. My digitial meter only shows slight changes in voltage less than 2%.
I can not isolate the problem, shut breakers feeding anything with a motor or compressor and it still blinks.
The lights only dime intermittenly.

dukes
I think this is definitely a local problem and not part of the PoCo network.
What really needs to be ascertained, is how the lights are wired in that place.
If them lighting circuits are all sharing a common feed, I would suspect a dodgy neutral (or phase) connection somewhere in the installation.
More than likely on one of the lighting circuit home-runs.
An ohm-meter and a long piece of wire would help speed the fault-finding process up.

Mike, you never mentioned if the receptacle circuits were affected by this intermittent voltage sag problem.
Were these checked at the same time?, as that would also give you some sort of indication as to where the fault could be.

Hope this is of some help.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard