ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Trumpy, nail on the head- it's the ground water! Human sewage contains specific-to-human bacteria and viruses. Analysis can tell the difference between, for instance, beef, pigs, chickens, kangaroos [hat tip to Reno!] & people. Leaks into the surface soil spread as much as 30 yards and can be detected by identifiable pathogenic bacteria counts. That's why a well should be at least 40 yards from any sewerage pipe. If a sewage leak enters the underground aquifers in your area, [ and these can be very close to the surface in some places], then the spread of bugs could be miles!

Having said that, it's surely overkill to make sweeping laws banning all HO plumbing or electrical work. I suspect that in many cases it's local gummint flexing their tax gathering muscles rather than any altruistic 'safety' motives.

As a local Maire, [the French are more laid back than most in these things], said to me once-

"You built a house on your own land. It fell over. What has that got to do with me!?"

Wood work but can't!
S
Originally Posted by gfretwell
It wasn't me. My shed was here when I got here and grandfathered in. I did "bring it up to code" several years ago but the footprint didn't change.
It is now a bunker, with 150mph rated block construction.

http://gfretwell.com/electrical/brick_shed_house.jpg

interesting contrast bettween your shed which draws attention vs. my shed which had zero Inspections, Occupancy Permits, or attention at all , by comparisson Libertopia.....

It occurs to me that his beauracratic disparity is a detriment in an of itself via the divide and conqeuor mentality

G
Again, it wasn't my shed that caused the problem, it was a little "lean to" on the side of a building that the guy just wanted to put a lawn mower and a few garden tools in that got all the attention. The whole thing was 2 sheets of plywood and a half dozen 2x4s.
By the time code enforcement got out here the guy had it painted to match his house and you could barely see it. Unfortunately, once the complain was made, the inspector said his hands were tied. Tear it down or buy a double price permit. The problem is, you need engineering for a shed.
Mine is built in excess of the county supplied masters. (basically the same construction requirements of a house)

Greg Fretwell
S
i do believe you missed my point Greg

and no, your shed is not the problem....

~S~

G
I understand about places where it is "no permits, no problem" but I doubt that is what most of the folks here are used to. I know driving around the west you see the sign "building permits required beyond this point" when you drive into town.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
Some shed. In certain areas up here...that's a dwelling!

John
T
BTW has anyone ever seen that mythical electrician (or other trade) who pulls your permits and then comes back to check your work before the final wink
I always hear about that on DIY BBs and I always think it is up there with the tooth fairy, the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus. To start with, it is illegal in Florida.

I did. Back when I was 17 an electrician sold us everyting we needed, we moved our meter including powering everything up, the electrician came around a few days later, checked everything and sent the report to the PoCo under his own name. That's the only legal way for homeowners to do wiring here.

S
yeah but, now your one of the flock and know the secret handshake Tex....~S~

S
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I understand about places where it is "no permits, no problem" but I doubt that is what most of the folks here are used to. I know driving around the west you see the sign "building permits required beyond this point" when you drive into town.

i wonder just what the % (permits required) really is

~S~

G
In Florida it is 100% (state law) for most building but there are plenty of places where enforcement is lax. That would basically be the places where you wouldn't have permits if the state didn't have a law. I imagine permits are just a check written to the county without any real inspections in places like that. In real life that means no permit. Fla statute 102.2(C) exempts nonresidential agricultural buildings so as soon as you get out of town everything is a barn.

Greg Fretwell
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard