ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 271 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#189815 10/26/09 02:09 PM
J
JValdes Offline OP
I can get AutoCad 2000 "student edition" from a friend for almost nothing. However, doing some investigating, it looks like it is not compatible with Windows Vista. I really was hoping I could use it. Any feedback appreciated.....Thanks John

JValdes #189829 10/26/09 10:54 PM
G
Gearxs is selling 1.8G P4 machines for $39 with an XP Pro license. I can send you a disk if you don't have one.
If you want one a bit faster they are $20-30 more

Greg Fretwell
Or you could create a separate partition for XP on your existing computer... You sure it won't run in "compatability mode"?

Also, AutoCad used to be available for free to students; you might want to check into that. I know VectorWorks still is; it's a one-year license and leaves a "Student Edition" watermark but it's better than paying $1,800.

J
JValdes Offline OP
Greg, I do not understand. machine with XP pro license for $39.00? Are you saying I need XP to run AutoCad 2000?
If I do, I will just forget about it.

noderaser, I am not a student. The guy that is selling has it from school, but he never opened it. It's brand new. He's in NJ and I am in SC.
I am not good enough with computers to partition anything. If it will not work on this Vista machine 32 bit, then I will just pass on the purchase.

I am having the seller to find out what the system requirements are. I am hoping the software will have this information readily available.

Thanks Friends

JValdes #189848 10/27/09 05:54 PM
G
You need some kind of OS and XP is a fairly good one.

You need an XP license to run XP. (at least that is what Bill Gates hopes you have). They do have some hardware checking in XP that tries to keep from being a "one disk country". You can't just copy it from someone else.
That is why it is significant that they are selling these systems so cheap. XP Pro is well over $100 in the shrink wrap.

Greg Fretwell
W
Note that Autocad 2000 is no longer supported from the factory so no upgrades or patches are available. I know some that have loaded it in Vista machines with mixed results. They have had printer, and file saving problems, as well as MS runtime errors. I would advise not to do it unless you are good with computer problems.

J
JValdes Offline OP
Thanks for the feedback. Greg. Yes I know. I have Vista. It is my OS, not XP.

WESTUPLACE, Yes, I am aware. And no, I suck on computer problems. I mean I am okay for most things, but a computer geek, no.

I will pass on the offer...........Thanks John

JValdes #189923 10/29/09 05:09 PM
G
OK but there is really nothing wrong with having more than one PC. If you can get a cheap little machine to run your AutoCAD on it might be the easiest solution.

I may not be the guy to talk to tho. We have 4 in the living room, 3 in my computer room/shop, one in the Tiki bar and one in my car. Everything is on the network. wink

Greg Fretwell
Originally Posted by gfretwell

I may not be the guy to talk to tho. We have 4 in the living room, 3 in my computer room/shop, one in the Tiki bar and one in my car. Everything is on the network. wink

More like the network is on everything! grin

Trumpy #189937 10/30/09 12:21 AM
G
The network does a great job.
I also have a Replay TV on the network (DVR) and the software on 4 of my PCs to watch shows off the Replay or move the files around. I also shuffle files around between PCs, share printers and all of that.
I have one set up as a file server with a half a terabyte x2 RAIDed. That's where we drop all of our backups.

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard