ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 139 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Another idea are the local recirc pumps that use a temperature sensor. You push a button to start the local pump. The pump either pushes the cold "hot" water into the cold water line or thru a dedicated return line back to the input of the water heater. When the hot water line is hot enough, the pump turns off and you have hot water at the tap. No water waste.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

W
Off topic:

I'm just curious.

These devices are a sort of standard over here (Germany). But we can wire them on 3 x 230/400 VAC with typically 32 - 40A breakers and 6mm˛ wire.

Internally they are wired in delta. This does not allow for using them on 1-phase 240 VAC as you usually have. (Split phase 120 not being relevant here)

Is there a link to an US installation manual?

Wolfgang,
I've worked on the showers that you speak of.
Personally I've only ever seen them in Gyms and Health Clubs.

With the price of a gym membership these days, you'd want to have a damned good shower. clap

But yes, you need a very substantial supply to any building that uses these appliances.

G
I looked at a tankless WH at Lowes yesterday. They want two 40a 240v circuits. I didn't see the KW rating but a max would be 15KW or so @ 80%.
I may be missing something but it looks like that translates to 110 degree/gallons a minute. If you need to bring it up 60 degrees that is lsss than two GPM but that is just counting on me fingers based on 3400BTU/KWH. Assuming I rounded them all up it is maybe a tad over 2GPM at 60 degree delta. That is not much hot water for the "whole house" that it is marketed for. It will put most people up into a 320/400a service too.

Greg Fretwell
W
Here we reckon that 18 kW is sufficient for a sink, 21 kW is acceptable for one shower/tub. If you wanna feed more than one faucet you'd opt for 24 or 27kW. Less than 18kw is just poor.

High tech is the model which is remote controlled to a desired faucet temperature( If demand is higher than available power, these models decrease the flow by a extra valve. So you don't mix hot and cold and there are no surprises.

The problem with tankless systems is the huge power required on demand. Which, with the necessary heavy wiring and switching also adds up to lots of dollars. I have a traditional longhouse, [aptly named- it's about 144 feet long!]. With bathrooms at either end, now that the old stables, hay barn and machinery shed now have us both esconced in them, a single hot water supply would have been problematic, to say the least. I fitted 200 litre [52 USG] chauff eaux, [hot water tanks] running at mains water pressure of 45 psig near each bathroom and tapped off to the kitchens. [Yes, we got 2 of those as well, due to the remodel]. Power is only 2kw per unit, [230V @ 9A], run on cheap night and 2 hours midday tarif, which you can over-ride if required. These can be got for c. US$ 450 or less here, sizes up to 300 litres/ single unit. The heating is oil fired hydronic, which is not used for our domestic hot water. We use an average of 110 liters [26 gallons] of potable water a day, discounting the toilets, which are flushed with pumped well-water, biologically clean but makes lousy tea!
My units are foam insulated and stay hot for days if turned off, which one of them usually is unless the ankle-biters turn up for a free vacation. They are marketing solar-aided chauf eaux here now. When I looked at the price tag, the only thing that got hot was under my collar!

Wood work but can't!
G
I am looking at a small wall hanger 1500w storage heater that will keep a couple gallons hot. That will be enough to buffer the water in the pipes for a shower and be plenty of hot water if you are just washing your hands. This should fit under a bathroom vanity.

Greg Fretwell
S
I wanted to help having spec'd these out a few times, but my memory is shot and I could not find the projects in the lists of hundreds I have worked on. For some reason A.O.Smith sticks in the head as having 1.5kw 2, 5, and I think 10 gallon water heaters.

S
Wolfgang, here is a link to the heater that I will wire...

http://www.stiebel-eltron-usa.com/products.html

The job will us the Tempra 29 Plus which uses 28.8KW

shortcircuit

W
Thanks a lot for the link.

In short form:

1. Models differ completely from European models.

2. In Europe today blank wires are used for water heating. The insulation is achieved by mounting those blank wires in a plastic pipe. The distance to the copper part of the device and the resistance of the local water therefore define the unavoidable leakage current which is typically far below 3,5 mA (limit value)

3. With 400V in delta and blank wire technology we can get 27 kW out of a small housing of the 10kW type on the American market.

4. In certain parts of Europe the low voltage grid (230/400V) is stiff enough to support this technology without any problem. But not in F(rance) or E(Spain) for instance.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard