ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 191 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
As a Home Inspector that trips every GFCI when doing an inspection, all these hints and tips on finding hidden GFCI's are extremely valuable to me. I've compiled them.

I've only "really" had trouble once. Older home, 1500 sq ft. Finally found it, just like one of the above, in the attic. Protected two bathrooms, two outside outlets, and the maintenace outlet next to the furnace in the attic. Made it a bit of a hassle to have to take 4 trips to the attic to reset. But, so goes life.

C
I saw a rather expensive solution to this problem in a new custom house down the street from me.

The electrician did not use the feed-through option on the GFIs, instead, he installed a GFI receptacle at every outlet box in the kitchen, garage, bathroom, etc. I think I counted 8 GFIs in the garage alone!

Just for reference, the house contained almost no sheetrock. The whole interior was done with wood boards, for that rustic look.

The owners of said house had no problem spending money, obviously!!

Peter
T
Wouldn't a GFI breaker and a seperate circuit for said locations have been cheaper and better?

H
Just had another thought. Someone said something about live receptacles and dead ones and pin backs on receptacles. I would check all the LIVE GFI receptacles and make sure that they are/are not pin back type. Maybe the feed from a GFI feed through pinback came loose so everything down stream is dead. If this is a master beathroom and HER recp. works and HIS doesn't, check hers again to make sure all wires are in tight. Same goes for master bath and 2nd floor bathroom. Check the live ones for a loose pin back.

Harold

C
Harold
Good thought.I checked 3 of the GFCIs that I thought would feed his recpt and none of them were back stabed.
Chris

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard