ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat Box
Recent Posts
Where is Everyone?
by gfretwell - 11/27/20 06:18 PM
Happy Thanksgiving
by gfretwell - 11/26/20 08:52 PM
Insulated Tools: A Waste of Money?
by HotLine1 - 11/26/20 12:28 PM
Ground fault remover :-)
by NORCAL - 11/26/20 08:13 AM
Work Gloves?
by sabrown - 11/25/20 01:54 PM
New in the Gallery:
Facebook follies, bad wiring
FPE in Germany pt.2
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 17 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DYI Advice #186688 05/24/09 11:26 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 251
W
WESTUPLACE Offline OP
Member

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
Re: DYI Advice [Re: WESTUPLACE] #186690 05/24/09 05:38 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 193
G
GA76JW Offline
Member
Wow someone is completely mis-informed on how a GFCI really works. Someone needs to do a little research before they post a response.

Good Find. lol


"If common sense was common, everyone would have it"-not sure, someone here

Re: DYI Advice [Re: GA76JW] #186692 05/24/09 06:18 PM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,233
H
harold endean Offline
Member
NAW! Why should they try and research the correct answer. It sounds good, and after all they are the "Expert" here on that board!

Re: DYI Advice [Re: harold endean] #186694 05/24/09 07:04 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 354
P
pdh Offline
Member
When I click on ask an expert a question, I don't even get a place to enter a question. What a silly, poorly designed, website (not to mention the error by an "ex-spurt"). I did find a form to submit an issue with the FAQ. So I submitted that the FAQ lacked an explanation on how to post a rebuttal for an error from an "expert". Will see what I get.

Re: DYI Advice [Re: pdh] #186697 05/24/09 10:59 PM
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 457
J
Jim M Offline
Member
Here are the experts credentials.

About Alex Napier
Expertise
I can answer pretty much any electrical question that would arise from 120/240 single phase systems. Those found in the home.

Experience
I've been a residential electrician for 9 years. I've wired new houses and have updated old houses. Everything i do either meets or surpases the electric code (NEC)

Education/Credentials
I learned from several Master electricians. On the site. I don't really have any formal schooling. But i have gotten many compliments from those in my trade. Including the local power company. Needless to say i don't have alot of trouble getting local permits because i have already proven myself. I've proven i know what i'm doing and i proved i do clean, safe work. Easily meeting or surpasses the local codes

Re: DYI Advice [Re: Jim M] #186701 05/25/09 03:30 AM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,346
Trumpy Offline
Member
Originally Posted by Jim M

Education/Credentials
I learned from several Master electricians. On the site. I don't really have any formal schooling. But i have gotten many compliments from those in my trade. Including the local power company. Needless to say i don't have alot of trouble getting local permits because i have already proven myself. I've proven i know what i'm doing and i proved i do clean, safe work.

Good catch Jim,
This guy is a dreamer, we have all learned from electricians.
The difference being, we actually went to Night school and got some sort of licence to do what we do.

Compliments add up to nothing, no matter who they are from, if you haven't got something in writing (as in a legally binding certificate), you have no right to be giving out in-competently thought-up advice.

This guy says he has proven himself, to whom?, I wonder, obviously not to any sort of a State Licencing Board.

Re: DYI Advice [Re: Trumpy] #186706 05/25/09 10:31 AM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,316
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant
Member
It's amazing the tangents this thread brings to mind ....

First, I think of a recent job, were 99% of the work had been done by an unlicensed guy, who had dropped out of the apprentice program half-way through. Oh, his work was quite neat and competent - but it was also clear just where his education stopped. Those parts of the job that involved topics taught later in the program .... controls, contactors, alarms, even troubleshooting the lighting .... he avoided. He had never learned those parts.

Then I think of an upcoming job, where the GC and I are having a bit of a disagreement as to the required electric. The GC has overlooked several required circuits, and has placed 6 hair dryers, four curling irons, and the cash register on the same circuit. Do you think the customer - a hair salon - will be happy if the GC has his way?

OK, so I'm better trained than the GC and the half-trained guy. How do I get this message through to customers? How do I put a value on my 'design judgement?' That's the business challenge I have to face.

Re: DYI Advice [Re: Jim M] #186721 05/25/09 05:54 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 354
P
pdh Offline
Member
Originally Posted by Jim M
Here are the experts credentials.

About Alex Napier
Expertise
I can answer pretty much any electrical question that would arise from 120/240 single phase systems. Those found in the home.

Experience
I've been a residential electrician for 9 years. I've wired new houses and have updated old houses. Everything i do either meets or surpases the electric code (NEC)

Education/Credentials
I learned from several Master electricians. On the site. I don't really have any formal schooling. But i have gotten many compliments from those in my trade. Including the local power company. Needless to say i don't have alot of trouble getting local permits because i have already proven myself. I've proven i know what i'm doing and i proved i do clean, safe work. Easily meeting or surpasses the local codes

I don't have any formal schooling, either. Nor am I an electrician or EC. Yet I know how a GFCI works and know it can be used on an ungrounded circuit. I know what ground fault means and that it can exist (and can be protected for) without an EGC. Does that mean I could qualify as an expert on that other web site? It might. And that is what scares me because I should not qualify. I might be able to answer THAT question right, but what about the others?

Maybe he can wire lights, outlets, and a panel in a home and actually get it right and make it safe. I believe I could do that. And I've done pieces of such work on my own home (I'm still here and alive). But would Mr. Napier be able to correctly retrofit older wiring? Apparently not. I'd hire an electrician ... but not him.

Oh, I'm here on ECN to keep up my perspectives in case my next job goes back into data center facilities management and I need to work with ECs. Things work smoother when the design requirements don't have code issues, for example.

Back to the so called expert. Google found this for me:

http://www.liveperson.com/alex-napier/

I wonder if that's the same Alex Napier.

Re: DYI Advice [Re: renosteinke] #186722 05/25/09 05:59 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 354
P
pdh Offline
Member
Originally Posted by renosteinke
First, I think of a recent job, were 99% of the work had been done by an unlicensed guy, who had dropped out of the apprentice program half-way through. Oh, his work was quite neat and competent - but it was also clear just where his education stopped.

Reminds me of the picture I saw here a while back of the nice neat installation where the phases were not in balance in the conduits.

Re: DYI Advice [Re: pdh] #186735 05/25/09 10:30 PM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,233
H
harold endean Offline
Member
I remember that old commercial where the one guy said to the other, "Let me do it boss! I always wanted to be a lectrician." (Or maybe it was a mechanic.) It just sounds better as an lectrician!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Featured:

2020 National Electrical Code
2020 National Electrical
Code (NEC)

* * * * * * *

2020 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2020 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

 

Member Spotlight
RonKipperDatacom
RonKipperDatacom
Kansas City, KS
Posts: 30
Joined: January 2013
Show All Member Profiles 
Top Posters(30 Days)
Trumpy 9
Popular Topics(Views)
272,057 Are you busy
205,954 Re: Forum
194,003 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3