ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 220 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
If the owner provides mechanical protection for the romex it Could pass inspection. But it is a bad location for the heater and a bad way to wire the heater. A little more drilling and fishing and the feed could have been installed inside the wall and poked out behind the heater Connection box. That also would provide the mechanical protection necessary for the cable.
Code is a minimum standard I hope we all exceed.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

C
what about white socks before labor day? seems that if they could get romex in the box side why couldn't they get it behind the unit and enter the ko in the back, maybe it was a masonry wall.

C
sorry didnt see previous post, chris

T
The landlord isn't by any chance first generation immigrant from Europe?
'Cuz in pretty much any European country I know this would fly after adding a few staples for proper support of the NM cable.

I'm willing to bet that the heater is fed from the same circuit serving the receptacle, and that is poorly pigtailed onto the existing wiring. smile

Stupid should be painful.
N
Not sure whether this was discussed previously, but I have a customer (property management company) that has apartments built in the late 70's. They have probably have a hundred or so units with electric baseboard heat with outlets above the heater. Must have been ok then, but what about replacement heaters? I change half a dozen or so a year. Should I start getting the inserts for the receptacles?

Last edited by nrp3; 05/02/09 01:08 PM.
B
Originally Posted by nrp3
Should I start getting the inserts for the receptacles?

Why not just take the receptacles out entirely, wirenut together the hots, neutrals and grounds and then put a blank faceplate on it?

N
The problem is in how much work it is,ie, where the outlet is in relation to where I can install the receptacle in the baseboard. If it is close to one of the locations, then the fishing is easy, otherwise we are into drywall surgery. I'd cover up the plug once a new one was in the baseboard. I suppose I could just take it out, but then lose one of an already too few plugs.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard